Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match (ever), first stage... 2nd person shooting

johnbu

As a brand new shooter (6 matches so far), here are things I have done:

• Forgot an entire array.
  • Forgot a target.
  • Forgot to reload at my reload spot, so had to do a standing reload after click (no slide lock on empty).
  • Loaded 2 less rounds on a magazine, went click on the last shot of the stage and had to reload.
  • Forgot to seat a magazine fully.
  • Rushed a classifier stage.

Good news is that I have done all of these just once and learned my lesson (I hope).

• Forgot a target.

Good news is that I have done all of these just once and learned my lesson (I hope).

Yep.... and have been shooting for 20+ years... Was trying out Carry Optics and just finished up shooting 6 plates on a plate rack, concentrating on the reload and moving to the next position... blew right by it. Cost me 1st place in that division.

BC

• 3 weeks later...

Some matches are better for first-time shooters than others.  If they were using a tablet, then it was probably Practiscore and there is no problem with skipping a shooter and coming back to them later.  I have no idea why they wouldn't have you shoot later in the order.  A second-timer should go with everyone else, but a first-timer should go last!!

I, for one, hate going last.  I actually prefer first.  I sometimes gets messed up when I see people in my division shoot a different plan from me, so going first means I always have my plan at the front of my brain. 

On 7/28/2016 at 3:08 PM, tanks said:

As a brand new shooter (6 matches so far), here are things I have done:

• Forgot an entire array.
  • Forgot a target.
  • Forgot to reload at my reload spot, so had to do a standing reload after click (no slide lock on empty).
  • Loaded 2 less rounds on a magazine, went click on the last shot of the stage and had to reload.
  • Forgot to seat a magazine fully.
  • Rushed a classifier stage.

HAHA!  I've been shooting for 15 years.  My list includes everything here plus a million other things... and that's just last week!  It's just that when you've been doing it for a long time you do them faster.  

This is an awesome sport of constant self improvement.  Sounds like the OP got a bit screwed for his first couple of stages... but it's like getting laid for the first time.  Some of us have fun, some not so much.  But it's good enough to realize we want more of it. 

Welcome to to the family.