Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

p226 mec-gar mags sticking?

ncrivello

I just started shooting a west german p226 (circa '88); picked up four of the new 10-rd mec-gar nickel mags for it. They seem to function great and I love how they really 'pop' out when ejecting; but I've noticed that they will occasionally drop part way and stick when ejecting. All four will do it randomly, loaded or unloaded. I can grab a mag, load/unload 10 times in a row perfectly, and then it might randomly stick.

I have another all metal "made in the USA" mag that came with the gun, which doesn't experience the same issue but I don't use because of a feeding problem it has.

I can't tell if it's the gun or the magazines. No unusual wear marks that I can discern. I did notice that once it sticks, if I push it back in and give it a good smack on the basepad it will sometimes eject properly. I can't tell if the resistance is towards the top of the magazine or if the polymer bottom half is getting caught. Any insights?

Thanks!

My tanfo did this when I first got it. It was the top round sliding partially out of the mag and dragging on the inside of the frame. Once the springs broke in it all but stopped.

I also polished the inside of the frame, the underside of the disconnector rail and broke the leading edge of it.

I'm kinda leaning away from a spring issue since it's very much broken in. Unknown on the round count but it's definitely seen a few!

I took the slide and grips off to better evaluate what was going on. Upon further assessment I think it's the polymer portion of the magazine rubbing on the magwell. I'm going to try touching the sides of one mag very lightly with a dremel or sandpaper and see if that cures the problem

Thinking it could be the magazine release, i removed it and polished it up a little. That didn't seem to help.. On a whim I decided to push the magazine follower down anytime it got stuck, and this seems to temporarily alleviate the problem. Could this be a follower or magazine lip issue?

Is the end of your trigger bar spring inserted into the frame too far? It's possible to insert it past the first bend so it extends into the magazine well and rubs the magazine.