Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Climbing to Build Grip Strength

b1gcountry

OK, so I went rock climbing at an indoor gym in St Louis for the first time last night. I mostly went for my son. I did do a little bit of climbing, and I was very surprised how tired my fingers were afterwards. I can only imagine how strong my grip would get if I did this regularly. They sell this grip boards you can screw into your rafters, and I'm thinking about getting one to improve my grip strength.

I was surprised how many 50+ guys were there doing there thing. 71 might be pushing it to start on the activity. Some of the hang board exercises I saw people doing could be done from a chair though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Rock climbing builds insane finger strength and tendon strength. You want to be extremely careful to warm up and avoid one and two finger "pocket" holds until you get a couple of routes in. I used to climb 2 hours a day, every other day of the week in the 5.13, V5 range of routes. My grip was awesome. Having said that, I only climb once every other week now. I moved on to other sport hobbies to stay in shape. Between Judo 3-4 nights a week and heavy dead lift workouts once a week, I am happy with the small increases in grip strength I see week by week. The rock climbing culture is very different from the shooting culture as well, not bad, just somewhat at the opposite end of the spectrum. The important thing to consider is that if you enjoy rock climbing or whatever activity and it benefits your shooting, then enjoy it. Just make sure you are training your shooting too, if shooting better is the primary goal.

My son saw it on you tube and got super excited about it. I took him to the gym, and I thought it looked cool. Plus it was something we could both enjoy and I desperately need to get back in shape.

I'm not so much looking for a hobby as an excuse to exercise.

Hah! I kept the 5yo out pay his bedtime that night (Tuesday), and I just got the report from his teacher that he was acting up yesterday (Wednesday).

So I just got the obligatory "I told you so, don't do it again" from my wife.

:)

We still had fun though so no regrets. Next time we just need to get there earlier.

Try rope climbing next. I rock climb occasionally for fun, tree climb often for fun and work, and rope climb all the time for work. Tree climbing can be the most fun but nothing rocks your hands and arms quite like rope climbing.

One of the primary reasons I think rock climbing is so fantastic for your grip is the wildly varied positions your hand will have to be in from hold to hold. Pinches, crimps, slopers, pockets, and ropes of all varied sizes and shapes means you develop a different kind of strength in your hands that someone who only squeezes something will never develop.

Been there, done that, tore my rotator cuff. Years back though. Now just the other day I gave myself a shoulder impingement that might sit me out of the first few matches of the year. So disappointed.

But yeah, climbing will improve grip strength like nothing else. Also any sort of forearm workout, like the weight on a string where you twist the bar to raise and lower the weight. I've found the little finger spring doo-dads don't do much for me, but rolling or just plain climbing/hanging until I'm burnt out works wonders. Just be careful about injuring yourself