Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P CORE questions

VforVandetta

Hey I wanted to ask a couple things.

First time poster on here form Ohio.

I run an M&P 9mm 5' core with RMR for 3gun/USPSA.

Recently my front sight broke off and it has me thinking... I've shot a couple matches without it and seem to be doing ok...but then again I see the frame mounted guys and the C-mores... it makes me ask...how important is co-witness really?

big selling point with the cores is they co witness with RMR/Deltapoint....

I have a new Dawson Precision front sight ready to install on it, but just thought i'd ask....I did good at my 3 gun match, but then ran my first USPSA match and keeping a good sight picture was a bit of a challenge.

Also, Is anyone running the vortex razor on a core with tall sights? interested in that.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably get to try the razor regardless, one of my sponsors just became a distributor for Vortex.

I just wondered..i'm still relatively new to serious pistol shooting... maybe a year and a half.

I *think* I like the cowitness, but I'm still having trouble picking up the dot on the draw....I find i'm faster with irons half the time....So I don't know if the cowitness is helping, hurting, or what. Since I lost my front sight, its been about the same or a little harder to pick up the dot. Then again, it seems like it gives my brain "less to think about" So i find myself wondering, "if this is harder, then what is with all the frame mount and non co-witnessed guys..."

is it just that much more training involved?

I like shooting with the red dot in general for transitions, and i just think its cool. I wanna understand this.

Edited by VforVandetta

Thanks for the replies fellas. Definetly helpful.

I'll try the razor, I'm hoping it won't be too much higher than where my irons "were" it was already shooting .5-1" high at 10yds. Though I guess shooting at the bottom of my targets won't be too much of a hassle.

I really would like a larger window on the optic. My RMR is the cheapest one, dual illuminated with 9MOA amber dot.

I'm thinking the 6moa razor will be a good middle ground?

I can't tell you how many times I've used my BUIS on my CORE. So I have a 5" with a FF2 and a DP red fiber optic front sight. The thing that happens to me when I use that gun is at the beginning of the stage during making ready I tend to think that my red dot is off and I go ahead and turn it on. Make ready and wait for the beep. I pull up my gun and no red dot, uh oh, so I shoot the stage with my iron's and then at the end I look and the red dot is at the off position... It's more just a problem for the FF2 than other red dots, since most have automatic or something similar. I haven't caught up with the times yet.

Amat Victoria Curam

The factory sights on a core are decent, but Dawson makes quality sights that are designed to fit this model pistol. The question that you need to answer is, are the iron sights a benifit or disadvantage? In my case I found the co-witness to be a disadvantage and replaced the iron sight with standard height. This is a question that can be sorted out in dryfire, if you find yourself drawn to the irons first and then transition to the dot you are waisting time and should not co-witness