Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge Questions..

bigtimelarry

Shooting Glocks for some years now and now I'm buying my first 2011 an STI Edge 9mm thats bone stock.

I shoot 135 PF ammo, can you tell me what recoil spring & brand everybody's using.

Also is there any other springs i need to change also.

When I get it, i will take it completely apart and go thru it so if there's anything else i need to change

or be aware of please let me know. Is it a good idea to disable the grip safety, i hear people doing it,

i shoot steel challenge & uspsa so I wasn't sure if it has a problem hanging up if you dont get a perfect grip.

I started with a 10 lb recoil spring on a custom 9mm 2011 build. I felt it was not quite balanced with the 10 lb spring. I dropped it to 9 lbs and finally settled on 8 lbs. My ammo is at 132 PF. I think you need to play around and see what works for you as it's different for each person.

I disabled my grip safety on mine as I grip really high on the beavertail and have a habit of not engaging the grip safety unless I adjust my grip back down. Try dry firing it to see if it is a problem. If it isn't, you can leave it enabled.

I started with a 10 lb recoil spring on a custom 9mm 2011 build. I felt it was not quite balanced with the 10 lb spring. I dropped it to 9 lbs and finally settled on 8 lbs. My ammo is at 132 PF. I think you need to play around and see what works for you as it's different for each person.

I disabled my grip safety on mine as I grip really high on the beavertail and have a habit of not engaging the grip safety unless I adjust my grip back down. Try dry firing it to see if it is a problem. If it isn't, you can leave it enabled.

What brand recoil springs do you use. Also what guide rod and do you use those shock buff's ?

There are a couple of posts about springs and 9mm in the gun springs section to help you get an idea of what weight and type of spring people are using. I'm using Wolff springs as that is what I had at home. ISMI seems to be popular brand as per the post below.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116064#entry1315911

I used a Dawson tool less guide rod but a regular full length guide rod would work as well. No shock buffs for me.

I went from a G34 to 2011 in 9 mm.....my only advice is buy one from Dave Dawson....have him do the trigger job, go over the pistol completely . Have him triple check ejector, extractor and make sure the pin in the STI rear sight is peened in place.....both mine lost the pins.

I also read excellent reviews on the Brazos tuned 2011 .........just my experience.......it's worth every penny to have Dave do you gun and put his stuff on it...sights, recoil system etc.

You'll figure the 9/10 lb. spring thing out for yourself when you get a go to round established!......just my opinion....Dawson's is a first rate bunch of guys.....saved me from myself on more than one occasion !!

Great choice on a pistol.....best of luck!!!

I went from a G34 to 2011 in 9 mm.....my only advice is buy one from Dave Dawson....have him do the trigger job, go over the pistol completely . Have him triple check ejector, extractor and make sure the pin in the STI rear sight is peened in place.....both mine lost the pins.

I also read excellent reviews on the Brazos tuned 2011 .........just my experience.......it's worth every penny to have Dave do you gun and put his stuff on it...sights, recoil system etc.

You'll figure the 9/10 lb. spring thing out for yourself when you get a go to round established!......just my opinion....Dawson's is a first rate bunch of guys.....saved me from myself on more than one occasion !!

Great choice on a pistol.....best of luck!!!

Yeah, i called Dawson on Tuesday and they sell the CRP Pistols but dont offer a trigger job upgrade anymore. They said Dave is too busy and doesn't

have the time to do trigger jobs anymore.. I was going to buy a bone stock one but maybe i should skip the learning curve headache and just

get a Brazos HP 2011..

If Dave's topped doing trigger wok....Get the Enhanced Brazo's 2011......never heard a bad thing about 'em.....all good..the additional work is definitely worth every cent......my opinion!

Most guys I know pin the grip safety for reliability. Sure, you might not have to but it's one less thing to go wrong in the unlikely event that you get a funky grip on the draw. I know, what are the chances, right? :)

I got a Brazos HP Edge near the end of last year. No problems. Love the gun. Get their gator grip treatment also. Definitely get their tuned mags that do NOT lock the slide back. Follow their recommendations on break in. No regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk