Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b small primer feeding two primers....

I am having an issue with priming, the primer bar comes back, primer #1 falls into the cup, primer #2 sits on top of primer #1 or flips off into oblivion when the primer bar moves forward. I made it through enough rounds for this weekend today by removing primer #2 before letting the primer bar all the way forward....that makes for a long, slow process. Any ideas?

Primer magazine not in proper position? I've discovered it's possible to think it's down and it turns out to be way too high. Take the primer feed assembly off and lay it horizontally with the bottom over a bullet bin or small box so if the primers try to go scattering they won 't have anywhere to go. Then look at it. You'll probably discover the primer magazine is clearly way too high.

If none of the primers are twisted around, you should be able to push down on the primer magazine tube while turning it and you'll see the primer magazine tube slide down into its proper position. If the bottom one is twisted, you'll have to straighten it. This is where it's smart to be holding it over a box.

Get a dentist's mirror (which I'm trying to find for the same reason, and which Dillon ought to include in the kit) so you can visually inspect it after you load primers into it.

There should be almost no gap between the white pin and the plastic tip of the tube. See pic one. Just enough to see the bottom of a primer. The ridge on the tip of the primer tube, see pic 2, must sit down in the groove at the bottom of the primer blast shield. Drop the tube in and slowly turn it till it drops completely down .Don't force it. Don't over tighten the top retaining cap.

post-22108-0-36353600-1459385427_thumb.j

post-22108-0-68231000-1459385440_thumb.j

Primer magazine not in proper position? I've discovered it's possible to think it's down and it turns out to be way too high. Take the primer feed assembly off and lay it horizontally with the bottom over a bullet bin or small box so if the primers try to go scattering they won 't have anywhere to go. Then look at it. You'll probably discover the primer magazine is clearly way too high.

If none of the primers are twisted around, you should be able to push down on the primer magazine tube while turning it and you'll see the primer magazine tube slide down into its proper position. If the bottom one is twisted, you'll have to straighten it. This is where it's smart to be holding it over a box.

Get a dentist's mirror (which I'm trying to find for the same reason, and which Dillon ought to include in the kit) so you can visually inspect it after you load primers into it.

Been there!

I got a picture today. What you see is one primer in the cup, the other on top of it and still in the blue tip a bit. Looks further from the cup to the tip than the above pic....

d1e0c4bf-e296-4b55-a99d-ea1a4819a748_zps

I'm not 100% sure, but that tip looks a little chewed up. I don't recall mine looking like that....yet. It's my understanding that it will after enough rounds loaded. Try changing tips and see if that helps.

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced that the second primer is sitting too low in the cup. If it sits too low the primer cup will drag the second primer out and chew up the tip. Can you try changing the seating cup and primer punch? Or readjust the one you have. Take the primer slide off.You should be able to put one primer in the cup, one on top and that second one should slide right off without sticking in the cup. If it sits too low you won't be able to slide it off by hand.

That tip is gone. Put in a new one.

I can think of two reasons you're getting two primers.

1. The tip is too high. Since you claim you're rotating and pushing down---there has to be something in the tube obstructing it. Can you push the feed rod all the way through the tube? Have you been cleaning the primer magazine tube every once in a while? (I clean mine by pushing an alcohol wipe through it with the feed rod after every reloading session, but that's probably overkill.)

2. The primer cup is too low. Get out your calipers and measure the distance.

Hmm, there is one other possibility.

It's possible you have already fixed the original problem, but the original problem damaged the tip and now simply replacing the tip will make everything work right.

But check the primer cup height and make sure it's within specs.

Let us know how it goes.

Tips on the way. I think the cup is too low as well. I will measure tonight. Does anyone know how deep the primer cup should be? I will make sure height is within range, would like to check the cup too.

The depth of the cup for the small primer is~ .119". A winchester small primer is .118". No way should that be enough to catch and drag that second primer, when the cup already has a primer in it..

So, a new tip, carefully installed on the primer tube, a good bit of tinkering with the primer cup and the rod in the middle got me to an overall height of the cup of 1.250. That worked like a charm! Ran load for 30 minutes with perfect primer feeding!!!

Just in time, because I just got 4000 MG bullets in!