Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy - What would you do?

TacticalReload

The MHS trials: 90% hit probability in 4" target at 50m. Any manufacturer in the running will have to do that. Also read that S&W partnered with another large company for their submittal.

The 320 target. Yes the frame module to slide fit is not as tight as it could be. However it is one of the issues the target model was supposed to address. Not sure it will make the final cut though. If not, it's SS. I will Tig it and recut. There are other rumors about that gun too. If they do 90% of what in hearing, I will buy one.

I handled one of the "new" P320 models earlier today. I definitely like the placement of the slide catch and the reduction on the takedown lever (especially the latter). The trigger seems okay, but it's got that weird "sproing" feeling when it breaks -- not super crisp, and it definitely needs to come down a few pounds. I played around with a PPQ and a VP9 as well. Something about the profile where my thumb knuckle sits on the PPQ was uncomfortable... similar to how people complain about the squared off area on the Ruger American Pistol. The trigger is definitely smooth, but it's got a lot of takeup and it needs to be lighter. The VP9 is okay. I'm not sure about the lack of aftermarket support, and the placement of the slide lock means I would have to watch that I don't ride it with my strong thumb. Meh... I'm beginning to wonder if I'm headed back to Glocks. I hate them, but I have so much trigger time with them that it's the lazy way out at this point. Right now I feel like the P320 might be a contender, but I can't shake the feeling like SIG is using the general public to beta test this gun for the past two years. I don't want to buy version 2.0 and have version 3.0 (or even v2.1) come out right afterward. I'd be surprised if there were at least some updates to the Target model within the first 12 months after its release. I don't have the $ or patience to send it off to Bruce Gray, and based on what his website says, he's not even getting the pull weight down to the levels that are relatively easy to achieve with an M&P at home with a few stones and maybe a set of Apex springs.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The sproing trigger can be tuned out. The trigger is over sprung for mass consumption. I don't think it will ever have the short reset that the m&p is capable of but yet I'm still intrigued by it. I dry fired a Grey worked 320 this weekend. Honestly, in about 100 rds I could be switched over. I really like the solid, flat trigger. Also, the large grip felt great. Thought it would be too big, it was nice.

That said, I'm still loving this M&P. I needed to replace the trigger bar so I moved the loop back some on the new one, changed the angle and replaced the striker. Now the trigger breaks much further fwd. I use an over travel stop so the reset is still short. At the va/md match the chrono tech checked it over, including the trigger safety. Yep, all functional. Lol, I think I was the highest non-sig production shooter.... not exactly what I was hoping for.

Edited by want2race

Now the trigger breaks much further fwd.

Have thought of doing this, but am concerned the striker block would not be sufficiently raised to prevent it from interfering with the striker.

Did you do any mods to prevent this issue or were no mods needed? Have you checked the striker for marks/deformation due to striker block not rising enough?

Thanks,
Mark

That was a concern of mine as well... I used a re-profiled factory striker block and it rises just soon enough to not be an issue. If I pushed the loop back any, I think I would run into issues.

I had a chance to check out yet another P320 today at a different shop. The trigger felt different on this one than the one from a couple days ago. It was heavier and had a weird double-click trigger break when pulled slowly, which bothered me. Plus the rear of the slide jumped up away from the frame when the striker was released. It was about as noticeable as the slide movement on my M&P. I noticed that some of the guns they had in stock had the old slide catch lever with the new takedown lever. Some had new for both. Some had old for both. None of the full-sized models had either new updated parts so that already ruled them out for purchase. I guess I'll have to keep looking around to see if I can find one that has the right configuration at the right price with a decent trigger pull.

The double click is fixable. It's also not present during live fire. I've tried to replicate it. I tried, believe me. It's the timing of the striker release vs sear reset. Also means that gun will likely have a longer reset distance until it's fixed. Sig said a trigger bar swap will fix it. I just messaged the right parts until I closed the timing gap.

Just looked at the striker and safety block. Didn't see any signs. I measured the locations of the parts initially. I did have to move the release point back a little to ensure the block safety was clear. That was during initial set up and testing. Shot a Sectional last Sunday and it was 100%.

The double click is fixable. It's also not present during live fire. I've tried to replicate it. I tried, believe me. It's the timing of the striker release vs sear reset. Also means that gun will likely have a longer reset distance until it's fixed. Sig said a trigger bar swap will fix it. I just messaged the right parts until I closed the timing gap.

I know this is pretty much off topic here, but I've done a little more research into the double-click thing. I've found a couple of people who claim that the striker release and the sear reset were far enough apart that it was possible to occasionally start releasing the trigger without resetting the sear, thereby causing a failure to fire / reset. I would think that the violence of the recoil would be sufficient to keep someone from failing to pull the trigger the rest of the way (fraction of an inch) to reset the sear, but I'd hate to have it happen not to. Is it easy to close the timing gap? What affect on pull / reset does it have when you do so? Do you notice that the upward pressure from a magazine on the slide (ie "separating" the striker from the trigger mechanism) makes the timing gap even worse by releasing the striker slightly earlier?

I apologize if these questions are off-base... I haven't handled or examined the internals of a P320 yet so I'm just speculating on how I assume the parts work.

• 2 weeks later...

TR. I've fired quite a few that had really bad double clicks. Only in dry fire can you notice it. Usually worse with an empty mag installed. It can be fixed. Also, even with the worst one I was not able to induce a failure to reset malfunction. I tried. Hard. Couldn't get it to fail.

Back on point: Got out to 50yards this weekend. Standing unsupported, M&P 5 shot group of 4.11". The group of 4 was awesome (1.80") but one round opened the group up to just over 4". Of course it's on video....lol. Youtube....