Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 2011 spring and follower for IDPA

Anyone have any experience with different springs and followers for 9mm STI's intended to lock back? I'm about to replace the springs in my 126mm mags and am looking for suggestions. I have 4 126's and the factory springs feel inconsistent between them. Has anybody tried a Grams or Taran follower with the intention of slide lock?

They seem like they are sturdy all the way through

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I might as well get a couple to try. I shoot USPSA as well as IDPA so I'm sure they will be useful even if I can't get them to lock back reliably and I have to set 'em up to not lock. Thanks for the replies!! Edited by Bluemooncricket

I Just set up my first 2011 in 9mm. It's like the 40 and 45 2011's. Most work fine with STI followers but often I have had to tune the feed lips with the Dawson tool kit, a wise investment. With the 5 tubes I am using for the 9mm, 4 of them lock back and feed with STI followers with spacer. The fifth tube I will tune later.

I also purchased a brazos tuned 9mm mag that uses a grams spring and follower, and yes they typically will leave one round left after slide lock. It is rare for this in my experience in the 45 but with the 40's and now 9mm you have to tune the follow. I sand down the ledge that comes in contact with the slide lock pawl. I use a dremel with the small round sanding drum and take the thickness down 1/3 ,then keep going until it works. So far I never run into one that would not work before running out of material.

Get the brazos tuning kit, make sure your tubes are to spec or close to start, and you will have a much better time when you get unlucky.

I Just set up my first 2011 in 9mm. It's like the 40 and 45 2011's. Most work fine with STI followers but often I have had to tune the feed lips with the Dawson tool kit, a wise investment. With the 5 tubes I am using for the 9mm, 4 of them lock back and feed with STI followers with spacer. The fifth tube I will tune later.

I also purchased a brazos tuned 9mm mag that uses a grams spring and follower, and yes they typically will leave one round left after slide lock. It is rare for this in my experience in the 45 but with the 40's and now 9mm you have to tune the follow. I sand down the ledge that comes in contact with the slide lock pawl. I use a dremel with the small round sanding drum and take the thickness down 1/3 ,then keep going until it works. So far I never run into one that would not work before running out of material.

Get the brazos tuning kit, make sure your tubes are to spec or close to start, and you will have a much better time when you get unlucky.

I do have the Dawson mag kit and have tuned 7 9mm mags. I have noticed the factory STI springs that I have vary in strength. I was hoping to replace them with a higher quality/more consistent product. I also find the STI follower to be a bit soft. I don't mind tuning, kind of enjoy it actually, but I don't want to waste my time if the end result won't be an improvement.