Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new toy

chuckpetree

Looks all caspian.

No weak hand safety means if you use it for USPSA, weak hand only stages will need a good strategy.

Very unique and old school look. ( I mean this coming from a guy who has only been into open for a few years)

Looks like a cone comp. all kinds of awesome there!

Let us know how it shoots, congrats.

Nice looking Caspian! Definitely a Caspian 1st or 2nd generation frame, not sure about the slide, but I don't think it is an STI. Is it possible the gun is modified to use STI mags??

I have two open guns with slide cuts similar to those, and they are my USPSA/IPSC guns and run major just fine. Just need to make sure the gun is sprung right for whatever game you intend to use it for. I can't remember who started lightening slides with those cuts, but I know Dave Pruitt still builds guns with slides lightened using that method. Totally practical and not prone to cracking. It does look like a cone comp, and that is IMO a good thing. They are lighter out front and can run both major and low minor loads well.

Just from looking at the photos, there are a couple of things that you could tinker with when you get around to it. As others have mentioned you will probably want to put an ambi safety on it if you are using it for USPSA, but it is not mandatory as many do just fine with single sided safeties in single stack. If you want an ambi you can use the Caspian , or you can modify a 1911 type to work. If you want wide paddles you can weld up them up and then cut the 30lpi with a checkering file...not as big of a job as it sounds. . Also, the new Caspian Trik trigger is really nice and is worth a look. Caspian is now offering both wood and micarta low profile grips that are nice, and Alumagrip offers aluminum grips for the widebody caspians that are really nice (but about on ounce heavier than the wood grips). Also, a dawson or EGW magwell would be a good addition.

Lastly, do you have your mags yet? There are several paths to getting a good, reliable set of mags for the gun. (BTW - MBX has tossed the idea of making Tanfo/caspian mags around and I encourage them to do so...they make good mags. Also, not yet available but Caspian is working with Mecgar on a 4th generation magazine for their widebody frames. I am optimistic that these will be good mags out of the box.)

Anyway, congrats and keep us posted about how she works for you. :cheers:

(I have a couple Caspian open guns - one with a cone comp and 2nd gen frame - and they are both very nice guns and good shooters.)