Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Muzzle Brake / Compensator

Brian Payne

Need opinions on what muzzle brake would work the best on my DPMS .308 with 18" barrel.

It would be used for 3-gun competitions, but the only major competition I am going to this year is the DPMS Tri-Gun Challenge. I don't think they have any compensator rules for this competition.

I would like to have the ability to take the brake off and put it back on again. It would need to have 5/8 X 24 threads. I would prefer to not have to send my upper away to have the brake installed.

I don't have the time or money to purchase several brakes and compare them so any advise from other peoples past mistakes is welcome.

Thanks in advance to Trubl for his advise at the last 3-gun shoot.

I was also in contact with Wakal regarding the brake he makes.

Any other ideas?

The sweetest gun (.308) I ever shot was built by Kodiak Precision. His muzzle brake was awesome. Call Don.

or

Talk to the folks at Smith Enterprises in Tempe AZ. I believe he makes muzzle brakes also. I had one of his brakes on a HK Tactical and it was quite good.

How loud are the mentioned brakes?

I had a muzzle brake on a FAL. Others said it was loud. I didn't notice or mind due to having hearing protection/muffs on while shooting.

the shooter generally doesn't notice the blast, because most comps tend to direct it aournd or above the shooter, it's everyone else around you that gets nailed.