Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working The Trigger In Dry Fire.

mcoliver

I never really paid much attention to what I'm doing with the trigger when live firing (Duh! Probably explains why my shooting sklills are stagnating.<_<) But recently, I noticed I'm not slapping the trigger during my dry fire drills. And when I did, it hit me that the feeling was very much like my live fire. But I gotta check my live fire if I really am slapping. :huh:

This is a question for those of you who are aware that you're a trigger slapper. Do you also slap the trigger even when you're only dry firing?

I can't say I slap my trigger at all either dry or live firing. I used to shoot a lot of 22 bullseye previous to IPSC so maybe that has helped me more than anything. I guess for some folks they may need to concentrate more on the trigger set? It comes natural to me.

I have a 'dry-fire trigger' for my Glock which allows *almost* realistic dry-fire working of the trigger. I slap away when I have that in there.

I've also found [last Sunday] that I need something more defined for shooting steel plates at 20-30 yards so I'm working on slapping the finger forward but taking up the slack on the plates before I break the shot.

Just going by the TV/VCR , haven't asked him, but it looks like this is EG's technique as well.

Ron, tell us more. I see where Steve Anderson doesn't pull the trigger on multiple shots since he is looking for a sight picutre not just a trigger pull. Maybe he pulls on single shots, maybe not. Is this what you are saying? You don't actually pull the trigger just look for the sight picture?

Clay,

Not exactly. I don't pull the trigger on sight picture, or "1 shot drills." I see a lot of people set a real low par time for a draw, then click the hammer to beat the time with no sight picture.

I do pull the trigger for all multiple shot drills (el prez, for example) because I'm not timing the first shot anymore. I've built in to "shooting like me" that I never drop the hammer on a draw without a sight picture.

This one change yielded some great improvement for me...

SA

Thanks Steve, I was falling into the grip, rip bang camp with no sight picture and when I read about not dropping the hammer and aquiring a sight picture that made much more sense. Thanks for the great info.

Rick

Clay,

Not exactly. I don't pull the trigger on sight picture, or "1 shot drills." I see a lot of people set a real low par time for a draw, then click the hammer to beat the time with no sight picture.

I do pull the trigger for all multiple shot drills (el prez, for example) because I'm not timing the first shot anymore. I've built in to "shooting like me" that I never drop the hammer on a draw without a sight picture.

This one change yielded some great improvement for me...

SA

I have been using Steves book and using the sight picture only draws. It has made me pay way more attention to the sights during the draw. When I hit the range for live fire I know where every shot has hit. Looking for the sight on the target during multiple shot drills has become very important before I slap that trigger back.