Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson .40 - unboxing

JayDee

I know this might be a bit off topic since this is outside of function & troubleshooting, but I wanted to share with fellow 1911 fans.

I've had an SSC .40 and a PM9 for a long time and I've been very happy with Dan Wesson quality. Fit and function are excellent after many rounds. For SS nationals in May, I was hoping to find another .40 somewhere as a backup gun. But, finding another Dan Wesson in this caliber was really hard to do. I actually purchased another brand's 1911in .40 but it just didn't have the same feel as my SSC so it is now on the block.

On a lark, I reached out to DW and asked if they ever did anything in their custom shop. Turns out they had a finished .40 on hand that that was ordered by someone who never paid for it. I didn't know that DW was building anything in .40 these days at all, so it was quite surprise. A couple weeks later, and this is my new "backup" pistol:

post-48522-0-50941600-1457555390_thumb.j

Also a shot of it with my SSC.

post-48522-0-46354900-1457555399_thumb.j

The trigger pull is about 2.5# with a little bit of take up and very little overtravel. It feels almost identical to my SSC, which had a trigger job done last year. Both are stainless but the new one is bead blasted matte instead of polished flats. An Ice magwell is on order, too. Otherwise, good to go for SS Nats!

Shooting blanks- that is a nice pistol!

Bamboo- I couldn't agree more. This year, DW unveiled more 9mm offering than they ever have. Before this past SHOT show I think they only had three in their catalog, now there are 7-8 I think. With that kind of expansion, maybe 40's could make it back into their regular stock?

762rocstar- both my 40s are running factory length ammo in Tripp mags. I have a combo of 9-round .40 mags with the spacer, and 10-round 10mm mags without spacer, and they both feed fine.

Edited by JayDee

What ammo do they like? Long? Factory? What mags are you running?

I shoot my limited gun ammo, thru all three SS 40's, one dan, one springer and one Kimber.. 200g bayou, loaded 1.185 with Tripp 10mm mags. they all run perfectly. I used to run wilson 47D .45 mags with the dan wesson, but you had to be-careful with slide lock reloads, if you got to excited.. the dreaded death-jam would happen.