Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multigun Question

outerlimits

am designing a multi-gun shotgun/pistol stage. i'm attempting to force the shooter to use the shotgun, then the pistol, then the shotgun. since it's a filed course, i assume i cannot dictate first & last shots must be by shotgun. what other options might i have?

The big problem is the abandoning of the shotgun and rule says can't have two guns at the same time. Since it is a field course you can dictate the order the arrays may be shot in, you can also dictate which weapon to be used.

So something like this could be used. First array is slug only on paper from box A. second array from box B is pistol only. Then go back toward A, retrieve shotgun and move to box C and engage the steel.

Problem is that when you leave A to B shotgun must be unloaded, Box B can't be forward of box A, when you leave box B the pistol must be unloaded.

The speed unload end up often being a problem.

Now if you don't follow strick IPSC rules and have a bunker for shotgun it can be easier as you allow abandoned hot guns. Careful about slugs and steel in same array, somebody goofs and sends a slug at some steel 30 feet away and you've got a DQ and chance for splatter returns.

Tell us more about the stage and I'm sure lots will chime in with help.

The big problem is the abandoning of the shotgun and rule says can't have two guns at the same time. Since it is a field course you can dictate the order the arrays may be shot in, you can also dictate which weapon to be used.

So something like this could be used. First array is slug only on paper from box A. second array from box B is pistol only. Then go back toward A, retrieve shotgun and move to box C and engage the steel.

Problem is that when you leave A to B shotgun must be unloaded, Box B can't be forward of box A, when you leave box B the pistol must be unloaded.

The speed unload end up often being a problem.

Now if you don't follow strick IPSC rules and have a bunker for shotgun it can be easier as you allow abandoned hot guns.  Careful about slugs and steel in same array, somebody goofs and sends a slug at some steel 30 feet away and you've got a DQ and chance for splatter returns.

Tell us more about the stage and I'm sure lots will chime in with help.

it's actually not an issue for abandoning the shotgun. consider an inverted V, where shotgun ports are along the sides and at the top of the v is the pistol port. a table there for dumping the shotgun, loaded, since you do not leave that position and are in control of it. shoot the pistol, then grag the shotgun and continu on to the other side of the inverted V. just wanna avoid finishing on the pistol.

Why not do it like this:

Starting in box 'A' with loaded holstered pistol. At signal, engage a boat load of targets. Deposit pistol in bunker "B" and then retrieve shotgun and engage a boat load of targets. Deposit shotgun in bunker "C" and then retreive rifle and engage a whole boat load of targets. Have bunker "B" be downrange of box "A" and bunker "C" downrange of bunker "B".

-David

Why not do it like this:

Starting in box 'A' with loaded holstered pistol.  At signal, engage a boat load of targets.  Deposit pistol in bunker "B" and then retrieve shotgun and engage a boat load of targets.  Deposit shotgun in bunker "C" and then retreive rifle and engage a whole boat load of targets.  Have bunker "B" be downrange of box "A" and bunker "C" downrange of bunker "B".

-David

that would be easy, but this stage has no shooting boxes, we all hate that. this is an "engage as they become visible" deal. just trying to get them to change-up to pistol in the middle of the stage, but start & finish with the shotgun.

the stage is here:

http://homepage.mac.com/acog

the 4 paper targets at the top of the stage are pistol, rest are clays and plates for shotgun.

just trying to get them to change-up to pistol in the middle of the stage, but start & finish with the shotgun.

I can think of no easy way to accomplish this within the confines of USPSA safety rules ---- and I might not even be able to under those (limited) tactical match rules I'm familiar with ---- unless you provide a "match shotgun" to start or finish the stage with.......

just trying to get them to change-up to pistol in the middle of the stage, but start & finish with the shotgun.

I can think of no easy way to accomplish this within the confines of USPSA safety rules ---- and I might not even be able to under those (limited) tactical match rules I'm familiar with ---- unless you provide a "match shotgun" to start or finish the stage with.......

no safety issue as the shooter stays within 1 meter of the loaded shotgun, which is where the table and shooting ports is anyway. as that is the furthest point downrange, no one ever passes beyond that.

Ok, the following is outside of IPSC/USPSA rules, BUT it can work for a club match or a Tactical Match.

There are X targets, say a maximum of 5 visible from position one, or between 1 & 2. Shooter starts with shotgun in weak hand and 5 rounds in weak hand, Pistol is loaded and holstered. On start signal, shooter loads shotgun and engages T1-T5, at which point the shotgun, being empty, he transfers it to his weakhand and engages T6-T10 with his pistol, After engaging T-10, the shooter dumps his pistol magazine and fires his last shot at T10. Bonus points on T10, but a No penatly Mike if only two hits. Shooter then holsters his Pistol and loads his SG to continue the COF.

Not elegant, but functional. Other ways also exist. Set up a certain number of SG targets on one side of the COF, say clays and steel. Have a bunker for the SG, Stage description, engage all clay targets with SG, then proceed to engage all pistol targets moving across the COF. Set up targets so that it make sense to cross the COF twice to see all the targets. This will bring the shooter back to the SG, he can safe and lay his pistol down, retrieve his SG and then shoot all the steel.

Again, not elegant, but functional. Other methods include slinging the SG, empty or reholstering a hot Pistol something most MDs want to stay away from with most shooters.

Jim

Ok, the following is outside of IPSC/USPSA rules, BUT it can work for a club match or a Tactical Match.

There are X targets, say a maximum of 5 visible from position one, or between 1 & 2. Shooter starts with shotgun in weak hand and 5 rounds in weak hand, Pistol is loaded and holstered. On start signal, shooter loads shotgun and engages T1-T5, at which point the shotgun, being empty, he transfers it to his weakhand and engages T6-T10 with his pistol, After engaging T-10, the shooter dumps his pistol magazine and fires his last shot at T10. Bonus points on T10, but a No penatly Mike if only two hits. Shooter then holsters his Pistol and loads his SG to continue the COF.

Not elegant, but functional. Other ways also exist. Set up a certain number of SG targets on one side of the COF, say clays and steel. Have a bunker for the SG, Stage description, engage all clay targets with SG, then proceed to engage all pistol targets moving across the COF. Set up targets so that it make sense to cross the COF twice to see all the targets. This will bring the shooter back to the SG, he can safe and lay his pistol down, retrieve his SG and then shoot all the steel.

Again, not elegant, but functional. Other methods include slinging the SG, empty or reholstering a hot Pistol something most MDs want to stay away from with most shooters.

Jim

think i'll just run a wall right smack down the middle, that way it will cost big time to do all shotgun first, then return to pistol to finish. thanx for all yer comments.