Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington Gas Piston

Lee Watne

I was checking out the Remington web sight parts department when I noticed a change in the piston/piston seal part for the 11-87, 11-96, and 1100. I ordered the assembly and it is two rings that snap together rather than two seperate rings. Have any of you had any problems with the old parts? Has anyone  tried the new parts? I also wonder why they made the change. Is this the answer to a question that hasn't been asked?

My bell-bottoms-vintage 1100 still has the original rings (Nu-Line replacement rings as preventive maintenance didn't work) and my Y2K-paranoia-vintage 1100 has the newer one-piece ring.

Newer is better in this case; less to clean, and not as easy to assemble incorrectly.

The new piston and piston seal is officialy: Piston/Piston Seal Assembly. Remington part number is 200295. This one part number takes place of the old two part numbers. I ordered mine from Remington. You can't order it on line but you can print a order form and they were very quick with the order, like within a week and I live in Alaska.

I have been using the new gas seal in my 11-87 for about 8 months now.  I installed the new seal and drilled out the ports to .100 and the gun will run on $3.00 a box Wal-mart #8.  Use plenty of oil on the system and it will run every shot.

Definately lots of lube onthe tube. I normally clean the tube, then lube it heavily with Rem Spray lube or Fastex. I have been able to shot 1000 rounds before cleaning the gas system again. This is as per Remington, Bennie Cooley and Mikey Voigt.  KyleL

definitely go with the new ring for the 1100 as well as the McFarland style single ring for the AR (my 3 segment set was done at about 3000 rounds)...for you that haven't settled on one specific lube, try Mercury Outboard Quicksilver 2cycle racing oil, it is designed to dissipate carbon, and really works well controlling carbon buildup on an AR bolt and the mag tube of the 1100... regards