Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Total newbie questions

zombienomore

I shot handguns for years. Mostly informal target shooting and plinking. I am 47 years old and live in the Pacific Northwest. The only revolvers I have right now are S&W 686 2 1/2 inch and a 4 inch Model 19.

I ordered, and will be getting this coming week, a S&W Performance Center 625 with 4 inch barrel with Miculek grips. I handled one in the store and fell in love with it.

I'm curious about getting involved in some competitive shooting. Be it steel plates, pins or targets.

So....I have these questions:

What other gear will I need to get?

What sports will my 625 be best at?

Are there "beginners levels" for competing?

Anything else I should know, or be prepared for?

Thanks for any info!!

Rog

ZNM,

What other gear will I need to get?

holster, belt, moon clips,  clip holders

-----------

What sports will my 625 be best at?

Just about anything.  USPSA has revolver, so does IDPA.  Steel Challenge...you name it.

-----------

Are there "beginners levels" for competing?

I think you will find that all levels are really beginner levels.  Enjoy the climb.

-------------

Anything else I should know, or be prepared for?

Watch how the top guys move when they aren't shooting.  Take your time when you are shooting.  Have fun...no matter what.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 11:46 pm on Mar. 10, 2002)

Quote: from zombienomore on 11:46 pm on Mar. 10, 2002

What is my gun best suited for?

The more appropriate question would be: "What kind of competition am I best suited for?"

Tell us a bit about your interests, temperament and what you hope to achieve by competing.  Do you want to shoot small groups on paper? Do you want to shoot very quickly and accurately? Do you wish to move around as you shoot?  With more information we may be able to make better suggestions.  Welcome to the board, by the way.

I'd like to shoot quickly and accurately. Moving around and shooting is an option, but I do have "bad" knees.

Making holes in paper is OK, but quite boring, I'd rather shoot cans or milk jugs.

As far as temperament, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but not to the extreme. I can take losing with grace. I can better appreciate what others  accomplish if I have at least tried what they do.

Thanks

You might want to post where you are from.  The are plenty of shooters from the Pacific NW here.  

There will likely be a member here that could let you in on what matches are offered in your area.  They'd probably show you the ropes too.

Try everything.  It's all shooting.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 1:23 pm on Mar. 11, 2002)

For a 625, I'd go with a straight drop belt holster from Blade Tech, http://www.blade-tech.com, as it's legal for IDPA and IPSc and Steel.  It may be slower than a race holster for IPSC, but it's not gonna be much slower --- maybe 1/10 of a second.  You may need to tell the folks at Blade-Tech what barrel length you need it for; until recently the default length was 5" IIRC.  I think they might offer moon clip holders too.

Girls with guns are cool :)

My wife is cool.

Thanks for the info.

I have been browsing a lot of boards having to do with all the major shooting orgs, and it would seem that there is quite a bit of controversy everywhere. 7 shot, 8 shot, 6 shot, stock, open etc.....I just want to do some fun shooting that's a little bit competitive, with not a lot of bitching and whining.

What do you think of bowling pins?

Thanks

Rog

I've never played with bowling pins, so I can't answer that question.  But for Revolvers, ICORE is the place.  Ignore the chaff about the rules and such on the boards you visit.  Shooters, mostly, just like to argue.  Ask 'em sometime what color the sky is today :-)

If you can not find an ICORE club in your area, then your next choice would be IPSC, then IDPA.  IPSC limits the revolver shooters to 6 shots fired - so you'll have an even competing field there.  I'm totally not familiar with IDPA.

My recommendation would be to try several of the previously mentioned sports & see which one you like.

A 4" 625 will work well for IDPA, IPSC/USPSA and ICORE.  It should work well for pins too, but the Miculek grips might be a little slippery if you're using hot pin loads.

I'd recommend you get a list of clubs in your area and contact the Club president. Find out when the next match is & go check it out. Oftentimes you can borrow equipment if folks know in advance. That way you can avoid buying a holster and etc. until you know if you want to stick to a particular sport. Plus, you can see what everybody else is using & see if you like it.

Whatever you do, go & have fun! :)