Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Target Hardcover Example and Question....

frodo9mm

It's scored -5 for each round that's fully in the hard cover. (black area)

wait, what? so if you shoot 10 rounds into the hardcover you get -5 for each one? That seems unlikely.

What seems more probable is that the only hits are the ones that are in/touching the non-black scoring areas, and you get -5 for each round less than the required number of hits.

If 2 rounds are called for and fired on the target and both land fully in the hard cover, you get a -5 for each one. (in addition to an FTN if the round count is not limited)

right but if two rounds are called for and you fire 7 at the target and 5 land fully in the hardcover and 2 land in the scoring zone, then you get no penalties at all, except the mockery of your squadmates.

the point is that (unlike a no-shoot), you are not penalized for the rounds that hit the hardcover, you are penalized for the *lack* of rounds that hit the scoring target.

Edited by motosapiens

If 2 rounds are called for and fired on the target and both land fully in the hard cover, you get a -5 for each one. (in addition to an FTN if the round count is not limited)

right but if two rounds are called for and you fire 7 at the target and 5 land fully in the hardcover and 2 land in the scoring zone, then you get no penalties at all, except the mockery of your squadmates.

the point is that (unlike a no-shoot), you are not penalized for the rounds that hit the hardcover, you are penalized for the *lack* of rounds that hit the scoring target.

Correct...I see your point now.

Ok, thank you. I am new to IDPA and unclassified. I recently shot our club's monthly IDPA Basic/Dixie Wheelgun Match. This was part of Stage 1: T1 - T4, 3 rounds each. 12 rounds unlimited.

They allow only 6 rounds in each clip for IDPA Basic/Dixie Wheelgun. I carried 3 clips total.

I took 3 shots and T1, then 3 at T2, reloaded and did the same at T3, T4. I hit the A zone twice and 1 in the black for each T1-T4. 5 down on each. I think I heard mockery from my squad-mates. Lol.

But since it was unlimited, it sounds like after going through T1-T4 the 1st time, I could have reloaded with the 3rd clip and gone back through.

Is this correct?

Thanks again.

Ok, thank you. I am new to IDPA and unclassified. I recently shot our club's monthly IDPA Basic/Dixie Wheelgun Match. This was part of Stage 1: T1 - T4, 3 rounds each. 12 rounds unlimited.

They allow only 6 rounds in each clip for IDPA Basic/Dixie Wheelgun. I carried 3 clips total.

I took 3 shots and T1, then 3 at T2, reloaded and did the same at T3, T4. I hit the A zone twice and 1 in the black for each T1-T4. 5 down on each. I think I heard mockery from my squad-mates. Lol.

But since it was unlimited, it sounds like after going through T1-T4 the 1st time, I could have reloaded with the 3rd clip and gone back through.

Is this correct?

Thanks again.

Yes, you could've reloaded and made up those missed shots. If your revolver reloads are pretty quick, that may have been the wise choice. Those 4 shots down cost you a total of 10 seconds, so you should be able to reload and fire 4 rounds in that time.

Don't they have black tape at that club? I would argue that it was an illegal target presentation.....

I don't know if it is illegal, but I have always been told that if you hit anything that is brown then you get the appropriate score. Easy fix get black tape, and the right thing to do.