Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For those that shoot the Precision Armament M4-72

nheiny13

I just built a new upper with the Stretch 16 barrel and a Precision Armament M4-72 compensator. Ever time I shoot it, I feel gas blowing into my face. I have not yet had time to trouble shoot it and try and see if the gas is coming from the back of the upper receiver or coming directly from the comp. For those shooting it, do you feel any gas blowback?

With the exact same setup you mentioned, I didn't actually notice this until I tried a different comp. It definitely is the M4-72. I shoot with both eyes open and don't blink, but I noticed with the M4-72 I would always blink on first shot and after that be squinting very hard.

It is probably something you can train around, just as new shooters who always blink can train themselves to shoot while keeping their eyes open. But I will probably not put it back on my rifle.

Here is a video with slomo where you can clearly see the gas flying backwards to my face: https://www.instagram.com/p/9SdbQuiH_e/

Edited by Maxamundo

I was considering this comp too, but looking at the design more closely and seeing other comments on it online I can see how this blows a lot of gas back to the shooter. It could also be why it measures so well on lateral recoil reduction measurements.

I can see the bloggers loving this comp based on how they set up their tests, but it looks less and less appropriate for action shooters.