Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking for load data: 95 gr bayou bullet for open steel gun

ktyler

I have searched but I have not found. I am looking for a good starting place to work up a load using the bayou 95 gr bullets or 105 for my open steel gun. open gun is a 4.5 inch 1911 with a 3 port comp. I have auto comp and silhouette on hand. I am new to working up minor stuff since I usually shoot major 9.

I already have a 105gr bullet load for my iron sight gun but ramshot comp is too fast and not enough gas for the open gun comp. If anyone has complete data great but if anyone can offer a safe starting point that would be awesome. Once I have data to post I will share what I learn. I am hoping to be in the 1200 fps range to give me a 115 PF. Slower if I can get the comp to work.

Thanks for you help

Keith

Tyler Firearms Instruction

I'd just start with whatever powder you're using for Major with a heavier bullet,

and load that under your light bullet. E.g., if you use 7 gr WAC with a 124 gr

bullet, try 7 gr WAC with your 95 gr bullet.

If that's too fast, take it down 0.2 grains at a time, using a chrono, until you

hit the magic mark.

If you set up a target at 25 yards while you're chrono'ing the loads, you will

also find out how accurate the load is ... :cheers:

I tried both the 95 and 105gr BBI bullets. The 95gr has a limited bearing surface and did not want to seat consistently square in the case. Accuracy results were not good. The 105 performed better but in the end I went with the 115 as the better solution. I was using Titegroup in an uncomped gun so YMMV.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Edited by ToddKS

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here goes range day #1 with load development. Springfield Armory Range Officer converted to an open steel gun built by JPL Precision. The slide is lightened up a lot and the upper is cut down to 4.5 inches. Once I narrow down my loads then I will play with springs. I also have a iron sight version I will be working loads up for but one at a time.

105 gr Bayou bullets CCI small pistol primer Winchester Auto Comp col1.100

5.0 vel 1056 PF 110 won't cycle the gun fully

5.5 vel 1188 PF 124

6.0 vel 1288 PF 135

6.5 vel 1352 PF 141

7.0 vel 1511 PF 158

95 Gr Bayou bullets CCI small pistol primer Winchester Auto Comp COL 1.040

5.0 vel 1059 PF 100 won't cycle the gun

5.5 vel 1169 PF 111 fun to shoot but brass is barely coming out and the slide is not fully cycling

6.0 vel 1300 PF 123

6.5 vel 1305 Extreme spead problem

7.0 vel 1548 PF 147

105 gr Bayou bullets CCI small pistol primer HS6

6.0 vel1081 PF 113

6.5 vel 1157 PF 121

7.0 vel 1278 PF 134

95 gr Bayou bullets CCI small pistol primer HS6

6.0 vel 1061 PF 100 would not cycle the pistol

6.5 vel 1172 PF 111

7.0 vel 1299 PF 123

From looking at video and the chrono I will figure out my favorite loads and head to the range next week with some new ammo to test. Much to my surprise, the 95 grain bullet and the 105 grain bullets both shot about 1.5 to 2 inches at 18 yards. I will continue to post data so other have a place to start from.

I've been playing with 95 grain lead FP (powder coated) in my G34 and love them. Recoil is about as stout as a 22 magnum. HS-6 and N320 have proven the most accurate so far. TG, Clays, BE and WAC have been less accurate at 30' and 50' distances. This bullet flies very flat at those distances.

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE

OK, I have settled on a load for both the limited and open steel guns

OPEN

6.2 gr of HS-6 with a 105 grain bayou bullet col 1.090 comes out to a 121 power factor and the gun runs flawless. IT a little dirty but it works

Limited

3.5 gr of Ramshot comp, 105 grain bayou bullet col 1.090 comes out to a 117 power factor and it runs

I know many don't care about steel loads but I wanted to post my findings so if someone is looking for it they have a place to start with.

Shoot straight

Keith

Tyler Firearms Instruction.net

• 2 weeks later...