Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visiting the Factory is a Slippery Slope...

So when I stopped by the factory last week I got a chance to play with a 650 while I was dropping off my 550 for overhaul and the Zerk upgrade...

I was practicing yesterday and had a couple of rounds stick... Glocked brass, very plain to see. I had a pretty high "failure" rate drop checking before the last match and this was the last straw... Time for an EGW U die, ordered last night. They told me it would be 4 weeks for the 550 work... Man I can't wait 4 weeks to see if this die works!? ;) Guess I need a PRESS... you know just so I can test the die! LOL!!! :D

When home at lunch...650XL with all the trimmings ordered from Brian. 5 minutes later I have an email from BE himself thanking me and that the order is already at Dillon. Gotta like that kind of customer service from our host. :D

Powder and Primers on the way, new press on the way, new Dies on the way! It's going to be a FUN reloading weekend! :D

oh... maybe I need a bullet feeder too!?

So how do you see yourself using these three presses as times goes by? Would you designate one or more of them for a specific cartridge and use the other one or two for a variety of cartridges?

I had to temporarily dismount one of my 550's to set up the SDB, but I have the presses attached to plywood bases that all have the same hole spacing. Then the plywood bases get bolted to the bench. It's not exactly "modular", but it's close enough.

So how do you see yourself using these three presses as times goes by? Would you designate one or more of them for a specific cartridge and use the other one or two for a variety of cartridges?

I had to temporarily dismount one of my 550's to set up the SDB, but I have the presses attached to plywood bases that all have the same hole spacing. Then the plywood bases get bolted to the bench. It's not exactly "modular", but it's close enough.

The plan for now is the 1050 will stay set up for 9mm and the 650 for .40. The future of the 550 is uncertain at this point... Maybe .45 ;)

Those egw dies seem good. I had 1 failure out of 2000 rounds on my first batch using it this weekend. Much better than last time where several didn't gauge.

I'm hopeful it solves the sizing issue. :D

even the regular lee size die is an improvement as it sizes lower down the case towards the extractor groove.

and yes I say get a bullet feeder for sure. especially if you don't have one on the 1050 yet. the mr bullet feeder is awesome. :)

I'm waiting to find a "coupon" for Midway to save a few bucks on it... ;)

Yup, I see a MBF in my future...

I'm a bit bummed today. I'm two days from Dillon for shipping and thought I'd have my press this weekend since it was in stock. Brian sent the order in right away but Dillon didn't ship until last night....Two days later, so I won't have it until Monday. :(

The waiting is the hardest part. ;)

Edited by Chutist

I have never tried the EGW die but have heard they are pretty good. I turned an old Lee turret press into a case debulging set up with the Lee bulge buster or something like that for my .40 brass.

I took out the auto index and made it basically a single stage. It's a die that you run your brass through and it has a small canister that catches the brass. After using it, it made a huge difference when drop checking ammo.

The Redding GRX or Lee would be the next step, if the U die doesn't give me a satisfactory "pass" rate. ;)

I'd rather not add the extra step if I can help it. :D

Tracking shows "Out for delivery" on the new press! :D It's going to be a good day. :D