Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-more Battery Life

yellowthunder

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what battery life you are getting out of your c-more. Mine is a 6 moa, less than a year old and what I've found is that I cannot leave it on full brightness between stages with a fresh battery. It has an advertised life of 300 hours, which I know is not at full brightness. I was able to regain some brightness by turning it off between stages.

I contacted c-more about this and asked if this was normal. I didn't get a good answer, they just said to turn off the dot when not using it. I get that these dots are not as efficient as an aimpoint and whatnot, but it seems to me like a fresh battery should be able to last a day at a match on full brightness. Talking to a guy at the match, he mentioned that 8 moa dots are a little more efficient with their battery, but I haven't tried one so I can't say if that's true or not.

Is this a normal experience for c-more users here? Is there a solid alternative to the slide-ride for a 2011?

Thanks for your help

Hello: Have you checked the voltage of your battery? 3.1-3.2 volts when new and replace at 2.6 volts. I turn my dot off between stages but have forgotten to a couple of times and it is still as bright. I think all of the dot module use the same amount of battery because of there design but if one is going bad I would guess it could use more battery power. Thanks, Eric

I get about a month out of mine with consistent use. 8moa. That is, 2-3 hours a week on minimum power for dryfire and the ten to twenty minutes it takes to shoot the matches of the week on about 50% power. We don't get a lot of sun here so I don't have to ever turn it to full power.

The battery's not dead when I change it but it hasn't got enough power to be useful in a match setting. I usually swap when I can't get the dot to really 'flare' in the lens when I put it on full power.

On occasions when I've left it on for extended periods like casing it after the match, or after DF, it's usually always dead. 300 hours is very optimistic. You definitely can't just leave it on in your holster for a match, make turning it off part of your hammer down and holster routine.

I guess I got good sights or am getting lucky when buying batteries. I have two 6's. I don't leave them on between stages and NEVER have to run them more than 4-5 clicks. I change batteries once a year just to be safe but they are still working fine when I do.

I understand some don't last as long as others but I would be more concerned that you have to turn yours all the way up to see the dot. If I do that on either of mine the whole glass is a red blob

Thanks for the input.

I guess I'm just surprised at the battery life. Considering these are basically THE sight to have for a 2011 open rig, I expected more out of it. I always have to have it at full brightness, unless an indoor match. Outside with any decent amount of sunlight it isn't near bright enough unless it's turned all the way up. For comparison, I use a holosun on my rimfire steel rig and that thing has been on almost constantly for the last year with no brightness issues. The only downside of that sight is that it is a 2moa.

Is there any other sight you've seen that looks like it would be worth trying? Something in a 6 or 8 moa? It seems like there should be a bit more selection than there is in this area. I'd love to see some competition for c-more just to get them to work on improving the battery life.

could be crappy batteries but like most others I don't leave mine on the whole time. It gets turned on at make ready and goes off at unload and show clear.

doing it that way a new battery easily lasted a few 2 day matches and a number of practice days in my 6 or 8 MOA cmores (one is a click switch one is regular).

However, I noticed that my 6moa on one gun started going dimmer, sooner. and needed a new battery basically every match to make it bright enough that it'd flare up on the highest setting. it's a sign of the module going bad.

switching from the single 1/3N to 2 X 357s sandwiched together (gives 3.1v vs 3v) rejuvinated that dying module in terms of brightness BUT it still chews through the batteries. I've got a new module to replace it. and one sight is going back to cmore for a rebuild.

the modules do wear out and eventually fail. I always keep at least 1 spare in my range tool kit. just be aware you almost definitely have to sight the gun in when changing modules.

I would say if it's chewing through the batteries it's time for a new module. Some seem to last years and years and others much less (like less than 12 months). luck of the draw it seems.