Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got a new heavy metal shotgun

Bryan 45

Well, new is a stretch. But I got bit by the vintage bug after shooting an M1 at our local match last month. After finding a decent condition Remington 31 that had previously been cut down with some awful external comp installed, and sending it to Steve Rose for a cut and threading, I have a vintage pump gun suitable for the game. Capacity is only 4+1, but the action is smoother than any pump gun I've ever seen. It's amazing how this thing is made. And Steve's work matches the high quality of the gun perfectly.

post-4540-0-56180800-1455240927_thumb.jp

post-4540-0-39820700-1455241149_thumb.jp

That's cool, Bryan. I have thought about a custom long tube on a cut and threaded Winchester '97. I love shooting old guns like that. Does the model 31 have a disconnector or will it slam fire? I had one, but it was a long time ago and I cant remember.

Hurley

I looked at how to add capacity to this- but it would be a costly experiment because I'm not comfortable doing the work. An extension would have to be welded up to the factory magazine tube, then the barrel lug would need to be removed and re-brazed in a new location. It would be pretty sweet, but not worth the couple times I year I may use the gun.

The M31 does have a disconnector. I've shot a couple Ithaca 37s without, and although the slamfire function was cool, I couldn't hit crap. I was looking for a Ithaca 37 when I came across this one, but decided to forego that method of wasting ammo and jumped on the M31. I think the action on the 31 is smoother, and it's pretty easy to load despite the short 2 3/4" port.