Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

prescription glasses fisheye effect

Shmella

Probably been covered somewhere but I cant find what im looking for.

I got the Ess eye protection with the vise RX insert for shooting and cant stand the fish Eye effect. I had ESS fill my prescription and didn't expect my vision to be so distorted going from regular glasses to the ESS with the inserts. Is this a problem with all prescription safety glasses or just the insert type?

If I brought the insert to an optometrist could they somehow fill the prescription and have it so It doesn't look like I'm in a fish tank?

I used to wear contacts but started wearing my glasses again because the cost of contacts adds up and figured I could get the inserts and would be good to go. Transitioning from my normal glasses to the shooting glasses is very straining on my eyes and I cant get used to the fisheye effect and don't even want to wear these. I ended up paying $175 for the glasses with the inserts and theyre pretty much useless to me. I don't understand why it is so difficult to make the insert look like you are looking through regular glasses??

I have the Rudy Genetyk prescription insert and it does not have this issue.

Shifting from your regular prescription to a shooting prescription (if you have a different one, like me) is something your brain adjusts to, or not according to my optician. People are different.

Edited by selecw

Oh, and I also have a dedicated set of Randolph Engineering shooting glasses, which are awesome if you ever go that route, rather than using inserts.

The dedicated glasses give you a somewhat wider field of vision that isn't obstructed by the rim of the inserts.

(But they don't look as cool)

Edited by selecw

The $500+ is what I want to avoid. I like the Randolf engineering old school functional option minus the cool factor.

I kind of like the old man look to it though :D ( Im only 25) The reason I went with the vise ESS pair was they were the best price I could find. The randolph ranger might be my go to.
http://lmlenses.com/product/randolph-ranger-sporter-rx/
Thanks!!!

There are many reasons for a fish eye effect. The curvature used to make the Rx may be different from the one used for your normal glasses. The material of plastic may also be different. Depending on your Rx, the distance that your eyes are from the insert may be a problem. Take out the insert and hold it close to your eyes and see if it helps.There are other measurements that may be off. You need to have the insert Rx checked by an optician. Have them check for any differences.

The curvature of the insert is probably what it is. My regular glasses are almost flat and the insert is really curved. If I didn't go back and forth between the two I would probably be able to adjust to the curved insert. I'm thinking the flatter looking Randolph engineering glasses might suit my need best.

That's a bummer about the fisheye. I've had that happen on glasses that were off for some reason. I'd think it would be correctable, mine were. And I'd hope ESS would want you to be happy.

I have regular prescription glasses I use for shooting b/c I got tired of my contacts drying out. But they're not wrap around style. And every time I go downrange and a jagged lead Frisbee comes zinging over the berm from the next bay, I wish they were.

So I was just a few steps behind you because I was considering the ESS with the inserts. Price was great because I already had the glasses from a prize table and would just need the insert and lenses. But every time I've got glasses they take all sorts of measurements and mark on the lenses for the position of my eyes. So I was wondering, it that was necessary, how would ESS do that through the mail. So I talked to my eye dr. about it and he said to bring glasses and blank in and they'd fit it to me and cut the lens. So I think that's what I'll do.

Hope yours works out.

I sent over a copy of my prescription and gave them my Pupilary Distance( or whatever its called) but the frame of the lens and the lens itself is so curved I don't think there is a way around the "fisheye" look with these lenses. ESS was really good customer service wise. I sent them back and should get a refund but who knows how long its going to take. Thanks for the references. Now im leaning towards the Decots..