Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fundamental issue with FART

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see the problem has already been determined. I was going to say that I specifically wet tumble with pins to debur my rifle brass (i.e., the opposite of what was happening here).

Glad you discovered the problem. After tumbling, i rinse my brass well, shake it in a rubber colander to get any extra water off then pour out onto a large towel. I roll the brass around on/in the towel to get most of the water off then leave to finish drying, works great.

I know... I have done that, and with a fan running across the brass too. I also have the FA dryer, but I do love the gadgets. :-)

For instance, one thing that the FA dryer is missing is the timer... or at the very least a power switch. I can't believe someone actually sells an appliance which you have to pull from the outlet to turn OFF.

Ii assume everyone but me knows that FART is the Franklin tumbler?

Thanks noylj. I was having trouble de-crypting the acronym. I thought about asking, but was afraid that too many forum members might be tempted to help me by giving me their own special version of Special High Intensity Training.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see the issue is resolved... I also tumble in the FART with no pins.

The first time was an accident... I usually had the pins in the drum and dumped the brass on top of them, then mixed it up. Then one time I dumped the brass in while the pins were not in the drum. Once I went to rinse them, I noticed there pins were left out, and that the brass looked pretty much the same.

After that, I figured the pins were not worth the time since I wasn't decapping them, and I didn't care about the inside of the case. I actually think the fouling left on the inside helps the brass not stick to the expander, but that might be my mind trying to justify the laziness of skipping the pins.

To dry, I just use a few old towels after shaking out what I can using the slotted endcap on the drum. Dump them in the first towel, do the old bowling ball polish, dump them on towel 2, do the same, then dump them on towel 3 and leave sit for awhile.

Edited by AJE