Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Mitchell's right side mag release

Red Ryder

Mine is sticking at times. Doesn't matter which mags. If I press and hold the button in, the mag would not drop. When I released the button it dropped. I had one death jam, where I had to fiddle with it for a minute to get it to drop. It has become better with use, but not 100%, yet. Just wondering if anyone else had any issues?

I love mine. Mag retention and release has never been an issue. I had to do some fitting to use it in a PT grip.

Are you using it in a plastic or metal grip? I found that over tightening the screw made it do weird things like not drop mags free.

darkvibe,

You got pictures of the Mitchell release installed on a PT grip?

The grip is on it's way back fron Ion bond. I can take a photo in the next couple of days.

Edit: Found some

akMt4vK.jpg

uBXBJrO.jpg

Edited by darkvibe

So it looks like there's a small contour issue but nothing else.

No need to utilize the washer?

Overall looks good.

Yes, there is a contour issue so the screw only contacts about 1/2 the diameter of the hole, toward the back and there is a small gap around the front half. You could probably touch it with and end mill to make a flat spot but it works fine as-is as long as you don't tighten the screw too much though. I blue loctite the screw and have put maybe 6-8k rounds through the gun with no issues.

You need to use a longer screw than the one that comes with it. Any hardware store should have one, it's an 8-32 screw. The ones they send with the mag catch are cut off pretty short and PT frame is thicker on the left side so the catch sits further down in the hole. I bought some pretty long ones then cut one to the exact length I needed.

I did some fitting on the tab that catches the mag notch and some fitting on the inside radii on the side with the button. Right around where the tiny roll pin goes through it.

AFElCtO.jpg

Look up into the frame with the magazine out and the magazine release depressed all the way, If part of the curved part of the body extends into the magazine portion of the frame it will drag on the magazine when you want to remove it. Carefully remove the portion that extends into the magazine area, however do not remove any of the magazine catch which will be retracted when you look with the release depressed. Be sure you have it retracted if you do trim some off the the catch body.

I wouldnt think thats the issue if the mag drops when you release the button. I got my gun back from ion bond and it's still partially disassembled. I can snap a photo of my frame with a mag in it tomorrow after work. Maybe that will be useful for you.

So you can't see crap in a photo with the mag inserted so here are some with no mag. I did a small amount of shaping and blending when I first got it in addition to making it fit the steel grip. It wasn't needed to make it work, I was just bored.

kKpy9AH.jpg

CgQ0g4C.jpg

And with the button pushed in.

3UMKx62.jpg