Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice Sessions

AzShooter

Have you started a special practice routine for the IRC? Does preparing for a big match change the way you practice?

What do you think is the best practice session?

Do you set up a stage and run through it, like Standards or do you break it down into smaller stages and practice ?

What do you consider a good practice session? How many rounds?

Do you set goals?

Did you learn anything today?

Simple questions but how often do you go to the range and just blow off a few hundred rounds and then you find out that you haven't improved at all.

Now that the Sectionals and the IRC are coming up I hope most of you have a chance to get out and shoot with your friends at the various venues.

Fortunately the weather is now perfect and the match schedule is full here. Tuesday night steel matches, Thursday either steel or paper depending on where you want to go, every Sunday there is a match.

I have found that the best way to shoot these matches is to go out to learn something special and not care how I do. Winning isn't everything.

Each time I try to work on something I expect to lose. Either I push myself to make that first shot as fast as possible or I am working on my grip style or amount of tention, concentrating on the target (fly on the target), or just going balls to the walls.

Some things work and others don't so I like to experiment and see what I can. I don't always get a chance to go to the range and just set up targets to practice on.

Az,

The main thing to do is get to the range and shoot. Stages, specfic arrays, steel, start positions, etc. Break-it down into pieces if you need to based on your skill level.

I work on mechanics ( draw, reload, start positions, transitions) 75% of the time.

Your "target hits", hopefully good, are just the end result of good (smooth) technique.

Spend alot of time "dry firing" at home doing the things mentioned above. Repetition of the basics will soon become instinctive (sub-conscious) movements.

I,m talkin about 100's of draws, reloads, reloads with movement, different start positions ( seated, back-to-target, gun on table etc.) weekly.

These are things you can practice "live or dry".

The ONLY way to get fast is to repeat, repeat,...................................the basics till it becomes muscle memory.

As far as goals. There good to have, but be realistic.

Hope this helps, it has for me!!

Dan

AzShooter, If there is something different from the norm or has a high percent of the Match, The STANDARDS at IRC, I will work on it. As of this time I only have the capabilities of shooting 25 yards I will practice the standards from the 25 yard in. It is Par time so I need to get the times down. The 50 and 25 are not my problem it is the 10 and 3 yard that make me rush. I will also need to work on my close "Low wall" aquisitions. I am verticaly challenged or as my buddy Gene often said "If you were a foot taller, you could be a square." I will also limit my practicing to 100 or 150 rounds making me practice perfect. Or as close as I can get that day. Yesterdays' practice was not stellar, it did not feel smooth. So the next time I will work on smooth as fast as I can. Well gotta go reload. :angry: later rdd

Practice Far and Near standards

use the southwest regional as the final match to figure out what you lack on

I found out at this last weekends match that I have to practice at shooting 25-30 yards, as you saw from the results. I'll ask Vic to run standars's this upcoming May 1, but with out the Par time.

Lisa, Had challenged me to a shootoff. But I always find a way to weasel out. I am not going to beat by a "GIRL". And if you don't count Momoo (Joyce Rosato), Kareen Marxhall, and Becky Starks I have never been beat by a "GIRL". At least not for a shooting session. I don't count the fight at the bar. (insert smiley face with blackened eyes)

This last monday, the day was actually nice over here, I went out and shot up a little over 600 rnd (needed to do some house cleaning) at Far and Near. Found out that I had to relearn how to go prone. My first run at it was a 4.65 for first shot at 50yrds, spent out 30 min on it till my times for first shot were in the 3.3-3.5 range, back to normal for me.

this is for you azshooter, My last 100 round I set up two target to see what the fastet reload I could get (my previous fast for my 8 shot revo is 2.33s, on my 625 it's a 2.05), I ran a 1.83 on my second attempt, everything else was in the 1.9 to 2.00 range. I fumbled one and it was a 2.3s. Fasted split I could get was a occasional .19, but normally a .20 sec. The distance for these were 3 yards. Maybe at the ICORE match on May 1, we can set up a side match (throw money in the hat) and see who could do the fastet reload

This last monday, the day was actually nice over here, I went out and shot up a little over 600 rnd (needed to do some house cleaning) at Far and Near.  Found out that I had to relearn how to go prone.  My first run at it was a 4.65 for first shot at 50yrds, spent out 30 min on it till my times for first shot were in the 3.3-3.5 range, back to normal for me.

this is for you azshooter,  My last 100 round I set up two target to see what the fastet reload I could get (my previous fast for my 8 shot  revo is 2.33s, on my 625 it's a 2.05), I ran a 1.83 on my second attempt, everything else was in the 1.9 to 2.00 range. I fumbled one and it was a 2.3s.  Fasted split I could get was a occasional .19, but normally a .20 sec.  The distance for these were 3 yards.  Maybe at the ICORE match on May 1, we can set up a side match (throw money in the hat) and see who could do the fastet reload

John those are some fast reloads. Congratulations. I'm not near that fast but let's put the targets at 10 yards and go A zone hit to A zone hit. If you break 2 seconds then I'll really be impressed. I'll put at least $20 down on in the hat and give you three tries. If you don't do it I get $20 from you O.K.?

It's been real fun watching you improve over the years. Now you need to stop sandbagging and get into A class where you belong, or should that be Master?

Those certainly aren't B clsss numbers.

Was making brass today on the "Near to Fear" Standards as Rudy calls it. I don't have the range for the 50 yards so I shoot from the 25 to the 3 yard stuff. First run nothing to write home about got sloppy and dropped two A's and a B with 3 X's. Dropped an A on the 10 yard with 11X's and another A on the 3 yard 11 X's. reolods went well though. Second run no B's but 6 A's and 24 X's reloads still went well. My last run is when the $&^* HIT THE FAN. Sor some unknown reason I rushed the 25 yards shot and had a full second left on the Par time. dropped an A and a B. On the 10 yard had a crappy reload, over 3 seconds, so pushed hard to finish dropped an A on the last shot within the allowable time range. Last part on the 3 yard If I thought my last reload was bad this one was far worse. But I forced myself to get a good target picture and ripped. And made it with .31 seconds to spare dropping an A. So as bad as it was my last run was the best score of the brass making session. 27 X"s 2 A's and a lowly B. How is everyone else doing? B)

John. I don't go prone at the 25. I am not agile enough. with even a 2 second draw and fire you still have a second a shot at the 25 yard. At the 25 yard going prone it seems that I have to lift the Revo off the ground to get the upper targets so I just stand and shoot off hand.

Just to let you know had a bad day :angry: of brass mnufacturing today. On a bad day my average X count is down to 21 and on the good day it is up to 25. But a B or 2 willsneak in there on the bad day. John R. Went prone at the 25 to check something out. I can get more X's but not in the time frame. First shot in 3.29 range but when I push for the time I'll drop more A's. If I can get 2 X's offhand at 25 there is no reason why I can't get 6 of them <_< . Just got to want it more and drive the sight to a steady X zone. Well back to make more brass.

Went off to practice F&N and discovered that my cylinder is pretty severely worn- the alignment on one of the chambers throws a shot consistently low left into the B zone at fifty... Doh! Time to call the Performance Center and beg for a new cylinder... Double Doh! That's it, I'm taking up bottom feeding or golf, or basketweaving...

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple of good runs while making brass today. At the 25 had 5X's :) and an A :angry: . My last run I got 5 X's :) and a BBBBB!!!!! :wacko: . But the other distances suffered a bit. My "X miss" came on the fifth shot at the 25 both times and the B came with a 5.96 run. Had a full second left on the Par time. Anybody else going through this frustration for the Match in California?