Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case feeder jams

Does anyone else have this issue where the Dillon auto case feeder gets jammed by not quite dropping a round out? This happens when I load nine and 38 super. It probably happens at least one every 100 rounds.

Any suggestions as to how I could prevent this annoyance?

e9b1df65f7c30a85dfe267421070cf30.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A very common problem, to which no one had been able to provide good solution yet.

Among the thing you should try are:

Run at Low speed - much less frequent there.

Use Large disc - seems to give some extra margin

Don't put too much brass in the hopper - about one pint would be a good ballpark.

I have a 550 w/ case feeder and used to have this exact same issue w/ 9mm and 38 super.

It stopped occuring when I adjusted / closed off the opening w/ the metal tad to where only one opening

would show thru the area where the case drops thru.

Since I have done that I don't have that problem no matter how many cases I put in feeder.

That may help for you.

I have seen an excellent fix for this problem, just spent 15 minutes looking and could not find.

I will try to describe.

As Sarge suggested, slide the metal tab over, plus, what the other fix did was slightly reshape the the tab from a rounded end to a slight ramp like shape. This helped push the case back up into the collator rather than hanging up on the edge of the Metal tab.

I have not implemented his fix. I have very few of these hangups. When I do, it is because the collator is on high, I switch to low.

I have also had the issue, I lube my brass with Dillon lube and have found the lube residue will build up in fingers of the case feed plate causing the brass to "stick" for just a second before it drops. If I clean the plate regularly, my jams nearly stop when on Hi.

Jw

Dillon specifically advises not to move the tab, it is not an adjustment device, it is there to protect the edge of the plastic.

In my experience moving it made no diff whatsoever, but I was running the feeder full bore, trying to keep up with the Case Pro at 50 rounds a minute, so I HAD to run at high speed.

Running at Low speed with a pint of brass at a time, usually is nearly trouble-free, and is PLENTY fast for keeping up with any reloading press.

Dillon specifically advises not to move the tab, it is not an adjustment device, it is there to protect the edge of the plastic.

In my experience moving it made no diff whatsoever, but I was running the feeder full bore, trying to keep up with the Case Pro at 50 rounds a minute, so I HAD to run at high speed.

Running at Low speed with a pint of brass at a time, usually is nearly trouble-free, and is PLENTY fast for keeping up with any reloading press.

That's strange, Dillon is who told me to adjust the tab. I guess two different guys = two different opinions.

That's strange, Dillon is who told me to adjust the tab. I guess two different guys = two different opinions.

Seems more common than we blue kool aid drinkers want to acknowledge. They put out different info on different days as well. It's kind of pot luck when you call.

The metal tab is specifically adjustable to ensure cases drop properly, particularly with rifle cases. I have to close the opening using the tab when running 300BLK cases, otherwise they will drop upside down.