Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to seperate brass

Cundiff5535

Dawsonprecision.com. $37.95 for the 3 with free ship. My wife bought me a set for Christmas. I taped .38 Special to the walls of the bottom two pans in 4 places to give the pans more seperation.

Where did you see that? I couldn't find it on their site. Only see where they sell them separately for $14 a piece.

https://dawsonprecision.com/shell-sorter-set-for-9mm-40s-w-45acp/

Edited by ruleyoutoo1911

I just set up my separator plates to run with my bucket bolted to my tumbler and love it. I drilled holes in the edges of the plates and wedged 223 brass in them to create space for the brass to fall through. Almost 2 5 gallon pails with no effort and under an hour. If you did not have a lot of 223 this would be done in like 15 minutes. It was crazy loud though.

Dawsonprecision.com. $37.95 for the 3 with free ship. My wife bought me a set for Christmas. I taped .38 Special to the walls of the bottom two pans in 4 places to give the pans more seperation.

Where did you see that? I couldn't find it on their site. Only see where they sell them separately for $14 a piece.

Put one of each in your cart and you should get a bundle price.

Nevermind, I just went and tried it. It might have been a bundle sale before Christmas. It doesn't lower the price now. My wife ordered me a set for Christmas.

Edited by aandabooks

Doing it with trays, you end up with many hitchhikers in the bottom group - anything smaller than 9mm will stay there. Plus all those steel and aluminum cases you don't want.

To me the manual sorting is the only way to go, and I only have to do it once, when I bring home boxed used brass from the public range - there is all kinds of crap there which I don't want.

Considering you do it once only, it is a very small additional labor.

I just clear the brass first in my rotary tumbler.

Put one of each in your cart and you should get a bundle price.

Nevermind, I just went and tried it. It might have been a bundle sale before Christmas. It doesn't lower the price now. My wife ordered me a set for Christmas.

Gotcha, Thanks for the info! Looks like I was a day late and dollar short on that one. :)

Looks like the Shell Sorter website itself is still cheaper than Amazon, not sure what they charge for shipping though.

http://www.shellsorter.com/products/shell-sorter?variant=1164526836

With over 30 5gal buckets to sort... I want to get it done.

Seriously? Spend the $1k - you have enough brass to more than pay for the sorter and then you have a sorter. I have the ultimate sorter http://www.ultimatesorter.com and am quite happy with it. I hate sorting and cleaning brass....so I collect all year, sort with the sorter and clean by the bucket in a cement mixer all in one weekend and then I am done until next year. I keep what I shoot and sell off the rest.

Seriously? Spend the $1k - you have enough brass to more than pay for the sorter and then you have a sorter. I have the ultimate sorter http://www.ultimatesorter.com and am quite happy with it. I hate sorting and cleaning brass....so I collect all year, sort with the sorter and clean by the bucket in a cement mixer all in one weekend and then I am done until next year. I keep what I shoot and sell off the rest.

That is fine, if you belong to the "brass is brass" school. But there are many reasons to sort the brass below that level.

I use the 3 plate system. Throw the .40, .45 and other big random stuff in the sorted (ish) for sale buckets then hand sort the 9mm/38SC/.380 using a .40 cal ammo box shell holder. The cases drop into the holder (mostly stamp side down) then I flip it over on the bench. I can then easily pull out the short and long ones and the headstamps that I toss, like IVI, crimped pockets, and any berdan primed or steel stuff. I then also run a big rare earth magnet I have through every couple hundred to make double sure I didnt miss a steel case. This process is a pain in the ass for me though since I too am in nearly the exact same life situation as the OP.

That is fine, if you belong to the "brass is brass" school. But there are many reasons to sort the brass below that level.

Yes sir! ....you can still hand sort to your hearts content with nice clean brass. Personally, I don't sort by headstamp but any brass I shoot is rollsized, then processed before I do a loading pass.

Yes sir! ....you can still hand sort to your hearts content with nice clean brass. Personally, I don't sort by headstamp but any brass I shoot is rollsized, then processed before I do a loading pass.

One problem that bugs me is the 9mm, or 380 cases inside the .40's. They can sneak through the process, hiding inside the large carrier, and then jam the Case Pro.

I do have to sort by headstamps, as I loan mainly 9mm Major, and some brands are just not good enough. When I load for the regular 9mm, I don't do that.

Two things, I get around 30-50 buckets at one time, once per year... I know, I should just buy the sorter, but I really do not want to spend the 1K (I would rather buy other stuff)... I know I am being cheap:)

In saying that, because I get so much at one time, I do not have the option to just sort as I get it... its all at once, in one shot.

Anyway, I just sorted through 7 buckets using the tumbler and trays and that is working out well... Ill jump into the brass sorting machine sooner than later.

I have not met anyone who owns it... does it work? Whats the turnaround time on a 5gal bucket?

Thanks

B

yeah I was going to say if you're getting that much brass a year contact Jmorris and ask him how much to build you one of his brass sorters. his one looks pretty awesome.

or perhaps if he's within driving distance ask him if you can rent some time on it to sort your brass out in one big run!