Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nj-legal .308

davidwiz

In NJ, we have a draconian AW ban, that has done nothing except make the politicians feel like they're doing something (of course, the law doesn't seem to apply to that special group who the pols claim support the law). :angry: Anywho, as of 1997, the Colt Match Target flavor of ARs and the Springfield M1A manufactured after 1994 are legal to own in this wonderful state.

My question is, besides the aforementioned M1A, are there any other .308 semi-autos that are legal to own in NJ? DSA doesn't give a $^#@ about NJ or the people who live there, so their FAL is out.

TIA,

-David

AR-10, and all 308 AR types, Saiga 308, M1A, PTR91, DSA STGs, 308 VEPRs, Rem 7400, Browning BARs.

Basically anything that doesnt say FAL, G3, or CETME on it. The 308 Dragunov types are a maybe. And then you have to find NJ legal mags for any of the above.

AR-10, and all 308 AR types, Saiga 308, M1A, PTR91, DSA STGs, 308 VEPRs,  Rem 7400, Browning BARs.

Basically anything that doesnt say FAL, G3, or CETME on it. The 308 Dragunov types are a maybe. And then you have to find NJ legal mags for any of the above.

Do you know this for a fact, or just guessing? I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't want to order a gun and then have the NJ dealer refuse to transfer it. While none of these rifles are on the list of specifically banned firearms, NJ does have the “Substantially Identical” language in their AW law - what it means no one can really say, and no one seems to know what is and isn't legal. The NJ AG and State Police refuse to provide any guidance.

As for DSA - $#@! them. A few years ago, I asked them if their FAL could be sold in NJ. They said (and I'm paraphrasing), "who cares, it's legal in most other places." :angry:

ALL of the guns I've listed are on dealer shelves, except the STGs. There is no reason why STGs can not be legal. The substantially Identical language is pretty much ignored. There was a court case a few years back where a judge threw out that part (sorta) as being unclear and not meaningfull. If the beat cop knows that or not it is a different issue. In fact you can buy SARs which are about as identical to as AKs as it gets. The rule of thumb is that if it was "post-ban" legal by federal standards and it it wasnt named in the list of no-no guns you should be ok to own it. Otherwise how could we all own Bushies and RRAs as they are quite similar to ARs?

The AR10s, Saigas, M1A, PTR91, VEPRs and so on are common fare. Go to Rays some day and you should see most of them on display, for a lot more money then they are worth. The Saiga's and VEPRs are kinda rare because most people dont want them but you can order them. Also find a decent transfer dealer. Most of them will not blink at charging you $80 or more for a transfer.

I'm not a lawyer. If you are unsure contact one. Evan Nappen is the big cheese when it comes to the NJ law and guns, having writen a few books on the subject.

probably should clarify the "all .308 AR" bit though. Not much use unless hte particular model has 15 round or less magazines available for it, or you don't mind traveling out of state to get magazines and take your chances with what the AG decided permanently blocked means this week.

Own an AR-10 myself and a stag based franken-ar I just built.