Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you have on your Arm Board?

Wild Gene

How do you like to set up your Arm Boards?

Do you keep a ballistics chart and just write down clicks, or sketches of the reticle with aiming points?

Do you change the card each stage or just write over it with a grease pencil?

What is the best way to keep it simple?

I just picked up a new arm board from Sunrise Tactical. Very nice board.

Thanks.

wg

Edited by Wild Gene

well, if you know the targets and distances before hand, just write the targets and elevation and wind (in mils) on the board. you can write them in the order you intend to shoot them, or what i like to do is use a bigger sheet and sort of make a sketch so i remember where the targets are in the field.

if you don't know what the targets or distances are, then use a dope card and mil cheat sheet. i print my dope out and laminate it (different cards for each DA) and keep it and the cheat sheet on a retractable lanyard on my belt.

dopecard.jpg

i use a grease pencil and laminated, colored card stock with velcro on the back for my arm board. i'm not a fan of white because when it's sunny it makes my pupils adjust

well, if you know the targets and distances before hand, just write the targets and elevation and wind (in mils) on the board. you can write them in the order you intend to shoot them, or what i like to do is use a bigger sheet and sort of make a sketch so i remember where the targets are in the field.

if you don't know what the targets or distances are, then use a dope card and mil cheat sheet. i print my dope out and laminate it (different cards for each DA) and keep it and the cheat sheet on a retractable lanyard on my belt.

i use a grease pencil and laminated, colored card stock with velcro on the back for my arm board. i'm not a fan of white because when it's sunny it makes my pupils adjust

Three very good ideas, especially your thoughts on contrasting colors and lighting conditions.

Thank you,

wg

you're welcome

btw, it may also be helpful to stop by walmart and pick a pack of laminating pouches and a pack of velcro squares for about $1 apiece

keep a few pieces in your pack. you can use it in an ad hoc way to laminate and velcro anything you might want to use. for example, i'll help a teammate or n00b when it starts raining to laminate something. or if the DA changes, or you show up to a match and your ammo is 50fps slower than you expected, you can recalc your dope card. or stick some on your rifle or something as shown in the pic. or you could tear part of a page out of your match book in a PRS match and laminate it and stick it on your arm. you can write and erase on it with grease pencil.

or you could write yourself little notes after you bomb a stage, like "stop yanking the trigger, dillweed" or "don't forget to dial your dope" and velcro them to your scope cap

laminate.jpg

I had no idea they have those laminating pouches. I've always just done it with clear strapping tape. This would make it way easier when you figure out a dope update on site to correct your cards. I'd still have my AB app with me regardless.

What template are you printing your info out with? Looks like a nice format.

I will also make a note that reminds me to not take the shot until I'm fully setup, instead of good enough.

wg

Edited by Wild Gene

my own template. i email the table to myself from shooter on iphone, then import into excel spreadsheet and format it like this.

that's the big dope card i keep in my pack and copy info off of before the stage to put on my arm band. 5 different density altitudes, and the last purple column is 2 and 3 mph movers. then sometimes i make smaller cards that are just DA column plus the mover column

cup14dopecard.jpg

I have the data in my program. Each stage, I write the needed holds on my support hand.

How do you keep your dope from getting confusing from one stage to the next? Do you wash between stages or just use new colors?

wg

• 3 weeks later...

I have the data in my program. Each stage, I write the needed holds on my support hand.

I do the same. Sometimes in order of shots and sometimes in a map format. Wears off by next stage or pick up a little dirt and scrub it off. I plan to go away from using phone app and go to cards, I think it is a smarter idea.

• 2 months later...

Armeggedon Gear makes a great arm board. the marker is water tight, but wipes off easily with an alcohol wipe (readily available at any drug store). so you can easily clear the board for each stage.