Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plinking Powder....does it really matter

kfin

All those powders you listed probably have data for your calibers. By all means, use them up. Find a light load and plink away.

A friend gave me 4lbs of Green Dot once and I used it all in a .45 for matches. No complaints lol

All those powders you listed probably have data for your calibers. By all means, use them up. Find a light load and plink away.

A friend gave me 4lbs of Green Dot once and I used it all in a .45 for matches. No complaints lol

N320 has become a forum darling for good reason. It meters well, burns relatively clean, and gives great ES/SD on a chrono. It is perfect for 9mm, and very good for 45ACP. The only thing not to like is the price, and availability. Bottom line, if you find it, you owe it to yourself to try it.

I have read a lot about that. Seems that I read somewhere that N310 and N320 were both good. What I remember reading was that one of them was good for both calibers, and the other only really a good consideration for 9mm. Can't remember which was which and no reason was stated. What is the difference in those two powders? Still wondering why a powder would be good for 45 but not for 9mm or vice versa.

Probably will pick up an 8 lb jug of W231/HP38 or Clays if I can ever see one of them....and then I will be less anxious about the next shortage and can wait patiently until I see some good ones to try. That will also give me some time to develop some loads in my guns with the small variety that I have and make a better decision for me/my guns as I am learning about the powder differences. I really want to settle on at the most one for 9mm and one for 45 to "stock up" on...all things in time. I have the quick change setups for both 9mm and 45 acp for my Dillon 550, so changing it out isn't bad at all.

Thanks so much for the advice

N310 burns faster than N320, on par with Clays, Bullseye, WST. So you use less of it, and it will generally give a softer recoil impulse. But velocity will be lower, and the pressure spikes fast so you have to be careful with max loads. N310 is excellent for light 45 loads, and it will make power factor if/when you get into games. If you're looking to recreate factory 45 loads (230gr at 800+fps), a slower burning powder like N320, Titegroup, W231, is better.

Your WST and Clays are perfect for 45, and your Titegroup and HP38 are perfect for 9mm. Those are all great powders. And if you find some N310/320, they are certainly worth a try.

Edited by rev1911

N310 burns faster than N320, on par with Clays, Bullseye, WST. So you use less of it, and it will generally give a softer recoil impulse. But velocity will be lower, and the pressure spikes fast so you have to be careful with max loads. N310 is excellent for light 45 loads, and it will make power factor if/when you get into games. If you're looking to recreate factory 45 loads (230gr at 800+fps), a slower burning powder like N320, Titegroup, W231, is better.

Yep. N310 is really too fast for 9mm. Might work for very light loads for very light bullets. It will "make IPSC Major" in 45ACP. The Vihtavuori Reloading Guide gives you good recipies for their powders. If your bullets are not mentioned, just find the nearest equivalent and start from the Starting loads.

• 3 weeks later...

I've literally used every powder you listed. Alot. During the shortage a year or so ago I was offered an 8 lb jug of Titewad for 100 bucks. I started using it in .45 and it has been my favorite so far... I'm getting ready to begin working on a 9mm load for it now.

Edited by wyliearms