Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hamilton Pool

tightloop

Another story from the early days of IPSC in the Texas South Section. In 1982, they decided to put together a team shoot called the Texas Challenge to be held in Austin in early September.. Our team, Tom, Fred, Cliff and me were shooting almost every day to be sure we were ready for it...then the MD, Art Eatman called to see if we would come up a week early to help him put up the mover...sure we would go if we could shoot it after we got it set up...He agreed...

Well, Bunky, if you have not been to Austin in September, let me tell you it can be hot with a capital H....and it was...We got to the range and Art had nothing done at all...so we began getting it set up...

Got it going and finished about 1PM and then we shot it till about 3 or so...and then, brother, we were needing some shade and a cool drink...we had the cool drink but asked Art about the shade...then he told us about Hamilton Pool.... :)

It is just down the road from the range and is a miniature version of Niagra Falls...it is a horseshoe shaped creek that falls over the rocks about 35 or 40 feel into a pool of clear cool water and he thought we might like to soak our tired feet in it for a while...we agreed.....But, he told us it was on private land and we'd have to pay to get into the place...but after all the heat, even paying did not sound so bad; so off we went...

It was so hot that each of us except Cliff took off our shooting gear and rode over to the Falls... It was across a cattle guard and then stopped by a guard shack to pay someone to enter...but no one was there...so we parked the truck and got out to wait for the money guy...

As we stood there, a car pulls up and rolls down the window and hands Cliff 16 dollars for the 4 passengers in the vehicle...he took the money and stood there wondering what was going on....Just then another car pulls up and givews him 12 more bucks for the 3 people in it and he takes the money and smiles....

After we had loitered around the shack for 25 or 30 minutes, Cliff is still taking money from every car which pulls in to park...and he Still has on his pistol and shooting gear... Then a car pulls into park and stops by Cliff and Cliff holds out his hand for the money, just like he has been doing for the last 30 minutes and the driver asks him why he should give him money....Well, Cliff stands there for a minute or so and then tells him...."...because I have the gun".... :P the driver forks over 16 bucks and drives off to park the car... :D

As the rest of us watch this, we decide that we don't want to see the inside of the Bee County Jail, so we grab up Cliff and decide to get rid of the ill gotten gains... :ph34r:

Well, pardner, let me tell you that 124 dollars will buy four REALLY BIG steaks and all the trimmings in Austin in 1982, so we ate up the profits....

Since long ago times of bad men with guns will conjure up memories of Billy the Kid and the James Gang for some...for me, it will always be remembered at The Holdup at Hamilton Pool...and while noone went to jail, and noone was shot, the Old West was remembered on a hot September day in a cool Austin restaurant..... B) B) as were four really big (and free) steaks.... ;)

Chet...the women...I want to buy your women...how much for the women???

Heeheheheh... She's FREE. I found her on a Google search of "Hamilton Pool" images.

God Bless the Information Supah Highway! B)

-Chet