Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tanfo gold custom open gun?

chanman

Looking at getting one of these soon, I do have some questions,

I'm unfamiliar with this platform, I've been 1911/2011 since day one.

Is this open pistol a small frame or large frame gun, reason I ask is I'm trying to fund mags.. any suggestions? What's a good combo for 140mm mags? I found a old thread on here that said 2 mags have to be welded for 170mm mags..?

I do like that it comes with 2 barrels for major/minor.

Anything I need to know before I get one?

It will most likely be a lg frame if you are in the US. 140 pads from henning and "K " mags are good for 140mm. 170... ... the company (tanfoglio) makes a sorta 170. They are too short, suck, flex, and are way expensive. Perhaps a 170 basepad will be available soon???

No problem. That's not personal experience with them but I have read that from many people. I never wasted my $ they are also a bit short. You may get 26 supercomp but you get 23 w an 140. So for the price of 1 you can have several.

Henning pads. K mags, grams springs and followers. I get 23 if I remember correctly.

The mags work really well right out of the box, coming from 2011 you will be pleased :)

Which caliber are you considering? The V12 takes ~10% more powder than most full sized Open guns to make major, so in 9mm wear can be an issue.

Edited by kneelingatlas

The mags work really well right out of the box, coming from 2011 you will be pleased :)

Which caliber are you considering? The V12 takes ~10% more powder than most full sized Open guns to make major, so in 9mm wear can be an issue.

Don't they come stock with "K " mags?

Kneelingatlas, up in the air at the moment. I've been reading some of your post on this platform, this is going to be mostly a steel gun, but if I get back to Uspsa and need major I won't be using that v12 barrel. I liked your Y-7 setup.

The 38 super k mags with henning pad and grams spring and follower should get you 23-24 rounds. For a 170 a weld up job would be the way to go. Thankfully the tubes are fairly cheap.

I have heard the higher capacity weld up caspian mags will work but cannot confirm that from personal experience. You could ask at: http://www.highercapacity.us/site/mobile?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.highercapacity.us%2FPistol.html#2794

They do make a fairly good steel gun. They point nicely and have a nice light slide from the factory.

I own 10 Tanfoglio small frame and 2 large frame mags, including one small frame 170mm mag. The quality is great and I had zero mag-originated malfunctions through last 3 years. At 90 EUR for long stick it is definitely cheaper than 2011 MBX. Xtreme pad is +1-2 round(s) in 9mm.