Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For Comments On My Pending All Around Ar

GrimReaper

I've dug through virtually every topic on these forums without really finding an answer or opnion regarding a decent all around gun for my situation. I can't afford to purchase another AR so that's not an option, I was already surprised by my wonderful wife when she agreed to my purchase.

I'm looking at a RRA National Match A2. This rifle would be used for shooting targets from a bench, some occasional yote hunting, and an occasional match, most likely 3 gun, highpower, and CMP. If I was able to make a total of 3 or 4 match's per year that would probably be the max, I'm going to my first 3 gun next week to check things out, so the 3 gun addiction could take over and push those numbers up. I would also consider using if for some prarie dog hunting on a future trip out west if the oppurtunity presents itself.

Will this gun weighing in at over 9.5 pounds be a decent choice. I'm looking for a high quality gun without having to upgrade items to make it a real shooter. I know it's on the heavy side, but I'm going to want some decent long distance shooting capabilities, and I'm in decent enough shape that the weight doesn't concern me much, but looking for other folks experiences good or bad when using a rifle that's on the heavier side.

I use shooting competitons with my handgun to become more comfortable with my weapons and not to win, if that makes sense. If I improve my skills from one shoot to the next, I'm happy.

Thanks

Rock River is a good choice, however for 3gun I don't feel the National Match is a good choice. My selection would be either a 16 or 20 inch stainless wilson barrel. I prefer the 16 mid length. I would get a free float tube on a flat top receiver. Then get the clamp on iron sight handle. Now you can shoot in limited class or remove the handle and shoot in another class you decide to. I also would not get the two stage RR trigger it is too different from a single stage pistol. Get a JP single stage or accuracy speaks. Both have drop-ins. For stock I would get the collapse stock as it can be shorten to get the length you want. I prefer the A1 stock rather than the A2. I like having my noise right up there by the charge handle. Don't bother with any of there comps, order one from JP or brownells.

You'll have great gun that won't need a morgage, and will not hold you back or feel that your not competitive because of your equipment.

If you are gonna want to shoot High Power and targets and coyotes and 3 gun, you will want an A2 configuration handguard with the free float option or it's not gonna work very well for the sling positions (barrel flex is a bitch at 600 yards).

You will also want a 1:8 barrel if you plan on shooting High Power as 55gr projectiles won't cut the mustard there. A 1:8 will shoot the lightweights so it will work for the other stuff you want to do also.

If I were making the choice, I would go to JP rifles and buy their CMP ready AR with a two stage Jewell trigger, 1:8 match barrel and free float DCM handguard. It is $1795, but it will also shoot under an MOA at 600 yards and do it with aplomb.

http://www.jprifles.com/CMP_MatchConfiguration.shtml

--

Regards,

What is your primary focus. Highpower and CMP? In CMP are you looking at service rifle? A lot of those decisions will dictate how to build it.

If you want to concentrate on 3gun, go with the JP drop in trigger. It is not a 2 stage. Though, if I am going for long range precision, I personally prefer the 2 stage trigger (I don't know if anyone else builds a 2 stage drop in, similiar to JP's match trigger, it would be convient to swap out). I think the single stage triger, like JP's is better for all around shooting.

I went to: http://www.adcofirearms.com/rockriver/rraffl.cfm?page=rra to see what the rifle is. I would lean a little to that A4 Standard, get the 1:8 stainless barrel installed and the A2 carry handle. That would still give you the setup for Service Rifle, along with giving you the versatility to shoot in limited or tactical.

That is pretty much the build I went with, and finished this month. It seemed the most versatile, though, I would need to replace my gas block with a front sight and my adjustable stock with an A2 stock, to be able to shoot in Service Rifle.

Last piece of advice, check out http://www.ar15.com/ for a lot of good build information.

BTW, anything that is purposed enough to be useable in CMP competition is not going to be ideal in USPSA and IMG type 3 gun and vice versa. A pair of uppers optimized for each use would be the only way to get an optimum package for both. A choice on the trigger would then have to be made and I would go two stage as that will probably be superior at 600 prone and won't mean squat hosing in 3 gun.

If I had to do it with one upper/lower setup, I would setup for CMP service rifle and run in Limited division in 3 gun where it would be perfectly competitive even without a real muzzle brake.

You can forget shooting a HighPower .223 spacegun in 3gun, it's just not a practical configuration:

http://www.jprifles.com/NRA_HighPower.shtml

--

Regards,

The key thing in your post to me is this:

I use shooting competitons with my handgun to become more comfortable with my weapons and not to win, if that makes sense. If I improve my skills from one shoot to the next, I'm happy.

I have more or less the same outlook on competition as you. It's fun and a good way to develope one's skill at arms. I only concern myself with beating my friends (we like to give each other shit about who is doing the best recently) and improving my own abilities.

Buy a stock rifle that fits your budget, buy several magazines and a bunch of ammo, go shoot, train and have fun.

If you do plan to shoot CMP I would suggest buying a gun more suitable for that (20")...with a stock rifle there's no reason you can't shoot with it, you just won't be as competitive. CMP is as much a mechanical accuracy test as it is a test of shooting skill IMHO.

For 3 Gun I generally believe shooting skill is a more important component than equipment (so long as your equipment works reliably), when you get a point you can't advance farther upgrade equipment to get an advantage. Equipment is supplemental to shooting skill.

Ideally borrow someone's rifle and try shooting with it first to see what you do or don't like about it. No one can really tell you what you need until you go try it yourself.

If you want to shoot CMP, you need something CMP legal. You're also on a budget. And you want to shoot some 3Gun.

Note that flat-top receivers are now legal for High Power, but not necessarily optimal for the longest distance (not enough elevation travel in the clamp-on carry handle A2 sights). For CMP legality, it must resemble an A2 or A4 comfiguration rifle.

Suggestion:

Buy a standard A4 configuration from Rock River, with a stainess 1:8" twist barrel (+$65), A2 handguards. The RRA NM trigger is already included.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.c...36;A1$283g

Use a clamp-on A2-style rear sight (now legal) and use the flash hider or a bare muzzle for CMP. For 3Gun, you could shoot it as is, or get a muzzle compensator and put on an optic. Staying with iron sights would leave you in Limited class, and putting an optic on would put you in Modified/Tactical class.

It's certainly not optimized for either sport, but it'll be a great all around rifle.

-z

Thanks for the ideas. I've gone ahead and purchased the RRA NM for now, and will be looking to purchase another upper in the fall after learning some more things about AR's and 3 gunning.

The NM was available without having to wait 2 to 3 months, and I hope the long range accuracy will be good on this gun out of the box and that a shorter upper in the future will make it a better gun for 3 gun matches.

Anyone want to start spending my fall bonus money on a appropriate upper for 3 gun :)

Thanks for the ideas.  I've gone ahead and purchased the RRA NM for now, and will be looking to purchase another upper in the fall after learning some more things about AR's and 3 gunning.

The NM was available without having to wait 2 to 3 months, and I hope the long range accuracy will be good on this gun out of the box and that a shorter upper in the future will make it a better gun for 3 gun matches.

Anyone want to start spending my fall bonus money on a appropriate upper for 3 gun  :)

Build it. You learn more, and it is cool to have something that is completely unique to you.

You will REALLY need a good trigger in this gun to shoot the accuracy you want. Install a JP & get a good muzzle brake. It's easy to hit the long stuff w/ a 2 1/2 lb crisp trigger than with the factory set-up.

You will REALLY need a good trigger in this gun to shoot the accuracy you want. Install a JP & get a good muzzle brake. It's easy to hit the long stuff w/ a 2  1/2 lb crisp trigger than with the factory set-up.

Just to be clear, Benny is talking about the 3-gun upper. Highpower has these pesky rules like a 4.5 pound minimum trigger pull for service rifle and no brakes. So save the brakes for 3-gun. Mr. Modest's brake works well for me..... :D

Lee