Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practical accuracy

hummerbk

I've been reloading for 40 minor using 175 SWC lead, The group I'm getting is about 3 inches at 25 yards from sand bags. Shooting a glock 35. `Is this acceptable ? Should I keep experimenting until I get a better group? I'm shooting in IDPA. I quess I'm asking what a real typical group size should be at 25 yards with a G35 and an average shooter.

I don't shoot IDPA, I shoot USPSA,I want to be able to hit the A Zone on a head shot at 18 yards.

Sometimes on singers there is part of the target exposed behind a no shoot, if I can take the head shot, I want to know my ammo will do its job if I do mine.

When I shot Bullseye, my guns would shoot 1.5" at 50 Yards, we sometimes take 35 and 50 yard shots in USPSA and 3 Gun.

My load development process involves shooting 10 test rounds from a rest over my chrono at a fresh target. I save the targets and scan them into my load database so I can see the 10 shot group and compare the results of different loads.

I've logged 285 different loads so far and many of them are not as good as the results you've achieved. Congrats.

For a service type off the rack polymer gun, 3" at 25 yds is probably getting pretty close to the mechanical accuracy limits of the gun. You may be able to do a little better if you want to spend hours and hours of trying different bullet weights, powder's, etc etc, but that is plenty fine for IDPA

Now if you were shooting bullseye that would be a different story as those guys are looking for half that at fifty yds but then again they are usually shooting purpose built guns with a lot of hand fitting and such.