Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Delta Point on Glock 43? Overkill or Tactically Useful?

GregSmith

I will be getting a 43 for concealed carry and was wondering if the dot was overkill. I'm a decent shooter at best (Shoot 3-Gun and am probably a C class shooter when I have time for USPSA) and with a 2 and a 3 year old at home, practice time is limited. Optimally, I would be a grandmaster with the gun and will certainly make sure I'm proficient with it before carrying, but comfortable and proficient might be as good as it gets for the immediate future.

So... Under the circumstances of having to actually use it, and the pressures and stresses that come at you if you had to do so, would the dot be beneficial, be in the way, too large for the gun, not matter?

Silly way to drop some coin? Or tactically useful? What say you?

G

Edited by GregSmith

Have you ever run an Open gun in competition? That would give you the experience of knowing how difficult it is to get a dot gun on target from the draw. CCW and self defense is much closer to point shooting to the point where you don't need sights at all. Try running some drills at contact distance and you'll see. Don't know what you mean by tactical, but putting a dot on a 2 finger sub compact is a waste of $$$. You'd be better off with a G26/G19 for carry. Personally I carry full sized Glocks.

Looks like you could buy another Glock for the price of that dot.

Edited by 9x45

My guess is if you haven't shot a dot mounted gun before you will have a hard time even finding the dot in the glass. At range speeds you'll probably have to do some searching for it and at shit your pants reaction speeds you won't have a prayer of making good use of it. Now if you were planning on putting lots of range time or DF time towards it than I'd say you could definitely learn to make it an advantage. But without that I'd say you're not gonna gain much just by adding the sight.

As a note I have never really used a dot on a pistol up until earlier this year. I tried an RMR on a mp core for a one day pistol class (appx 500 or so rounds) at a swat operator conference I attended this summer. I was very pleased with how accurate I was able to shoot at distance doing group shooting or taking precise shots, but when it came down to quick shots from draw or rapid transitions I really struggled seeing it at all. At the end of the day we did some dueling tree competitions and again I felt like searching for the dot really slowed me down- admittedly I had very little time with it before hand, and I'm certain if that's all I shot with since then I would be MUCH faster and more comfortable with it by now. But it's not, so I'm not. Haha. I guess take that for what it's worth..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shooterDrew

Also I don't think it'll fit. Is the Delta Point around the same width as an RMR? If so, it'd be too wide for a G43.

It would definitely be too wide for the 43 slide. You could make it work, but it would look pretty goofy.

Damn it, now I wish someone would send us a 43 slide they want milled for a red dot just to do it. lol