Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Pro Custom .40 cal OAL

pc13

Para Ordnance P16 40 cal Pro Custom Model. What OAL are you guys using? So far I'm using 1.15 and it seems accurate for me at 15 yards and no feeding issues. I have tried some factory hollow points that were 1.12 and they worked well also. I am shooting major PF171, which I have chronoed already. Will accuracy get better if I go further say to 1.18?

Loading longer probably won't change accuracy much if at all. The only reason that most of us do it is to make the gun work. Many 40's, single stacks in particular for some reason, won't feed standard length 40 reliably. We try to fool the gun into thinking it's feeding a 45 really fast by loading the rounds longer (1.175-1.20) If your guns digests standard length rounds all the time. Why not let it eat what it likes?

Factory pro custom barrel can take 1.180. One reason I load longer is that I found that it shoots smoother. It also depends on the profile of your bullet. Some profile would require you to load shorter because the bullet is already hitting the lands of ypur barrel. But majority of the bullets out there are almost the same. Plunk test it to be sure. My two..

Factory pro custom barrel can take 1.180. One reason I load longer is that I found that it shoots smoother. It also depends on the profile of your bullet. Some profile would require you to load shorter because the bullet is already hitting the lands of ypur barrel. But majority of the bullets out there are almost the same. Plunk test it to be sure. My two..

Yep, profile of the bullet is important. I always loaded 1.16" for my M&P 40 because that is what would fit in the magazine. After acquiring a Pro Custom, I tried my regular loads and they would stick in the chamber. I had to shorten them to 1.13 before they would plunk & spin. I ran out of BBI (TC profile) and switched to Acme (RNFP profile). With the different profile bullet I could load out to 1.2" and it would fit my Para, however, that was to long for my M&P magazines so I settled on 1.160" again. Everything from factory, 1.13", 1.16" and 1.2" length has fed and shot well in my pistol as long as the cartridge passes the plunk test.

• 2 weeks later...