Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buddy moving to NYC and wants a home defense gun

If your only going to have ONE gun, shotgun....end of conversation [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? And do you think that racking a pump gun at the door will scare the bad people away? Do you even own a shotgun? Have you ever trained in close quarters live fire in dark hallways? Huh. No, I think not.

Since you and I are strangers, I shall give you the benefit of doubt and not take your post as being rude. Yes, I own many shotguns. Yes I have trained in close quarters with long guns, mainly rifles for the past 16yrs.

A shotgun can be used as a defensive firearm, recreation, and hunting (both birds and deer). Covers all your bases.

I assume in NYC your not allowed to have a semi-auto rifle, so the next best thing is a shotgun. Long guns are man stoppers....end of discussion. I've seen a lot of people shot over the years, a hand gun is not the optimum choice for defense or offense.

There is a reason the Military and Law Enforcement kick down doors and clear rooms with long guns....not handguns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://nyfirearms.com has a lot of info (plus rants, etc.)

In NYC you need to have a Shotgun/Rifle Permit and those take several months or more to process. You are limited to five rounds in either. Check out: http://newyorkcityguns.com/getting-a-nyc-rifleshotgun-permit/

Getting a Pistol Permit for NYC is more involved, expensive, and not certain.

Upstate NY is limited by the NY Safe Act, which is bad enough. Also certain cities have extra rules, like round limitations and locked storage requirements.

In many rural areas there is widespread non-compliance and non-enforcement with the more petty parts of the law but that is only a rumor I heard.

Edited by Frankly

JonKC, ok fair. My remarks shall be stricken from the record. I still have my old 870 entry gun and used to do allot of bird hunting and also deer hunting when I lived in Illinois. But I would still never recommend a shotgun to a civilian, especially a gun newbie. In addition to the ridiculous 'racking' advise they read in gun rags, they also have a belief that you don't need to aim it, that it spreads 30" in 10 feet, covers a hallway with one shot, can stop a train with a slug, and simply pointing that 12 gage muzzle at the bad people will make them drop their weapons and run, especially if you have a weapon mounted laser and light. Ok, all Hollywood BS, but they believe it. And you know from training that the first issue newbies have with a pump gun, after the first shot, is ow, that hurts followed by short stroking the weapon. That's pretty much it for them, especially the ladies. And no one is going to go get good LEO shotgun training, after all, they already spent $300 for the gun and 2 boxes of ammo. So my advice is get a large framed revolver in a caliber they can manage, typically a 4" S&W 686.

• 3 weeks later...

Benelli M2 (18" barrel) with pistol grip, best home defense weapon you can get for someone who is not a firearms expert and who probably won't train regularly to be really proficient with it ....

Keep it loaded where you can get at it when needed & if you can remember to disengage the safety and generally point it in the direction of the thug when the s@#t hits the fan one shot should do it ... Unless you're Mr Reese from Person of Interest & there is an entire CIA hit squad coming through the door, in which case you should have been practicing speed reloading in your spare time ...

Edited by Nimitz