Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Pro Series .40 - Review

superlifer03

mine arrived today. I just finished detail cleaning. I adjusted the overtravel and put some blue loctite on it, adjusted the extractor, it was a little loose, and smoothed the thumb safety like I had to do on my other rocks with ambi. It is a heavy gun like everyone said. I tried my sti mags and fed some dummy rds thru it. They drop easily. I might change the magwell. Has anyone tried the taylor with sti mags ? Overall I am impressed with the fit and finish and can't wait to try it out.

anyone here looking for an extra barrel for RIA match 40 i have a Bnew never fired stainless steel bull barrel for RIA, para/ramp cut. pm me..(cant post it on classifieds 'm not yet 50posts)

Edited by Eliboudreaux

tomjerry1

did you have the mag release drilled and tapped or did you find one that fit correctly ? My sti edge mag release seats further in the gun than the ria release. Is their release the same as a para or is it made only for ria ?

Dawson Precision

Mag Release/Gun Craft/For Para Ordnance HiCap/Serrated Steel, Extended Button Blue/6/15, 511-1044, Gun Craft Inc.

Mag Button /DP/F or STI, SV HiCap/Lo Pro 4-40 Blue 014-004.

You will want to verify numbers before ordering

I shot @ 150 rds thru it yesterday. It ran great. At 15yds it is a couple inches high. I cut a coil off the bomar springs so I an get the sight down all the way. It should be very close now. My loads are 1.190 oal and they fed 100% . Had to adjust a couple of my sti mags, but they all drop free now. I have the dawson mag release on order, havn't ordered the tf magwell yet.

thanks for all the advice.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been shooting his gun hard since I got it. It runs great, seems to have loosened up a lot but accuracy is still fine. I have put over 7k thru it (lost count a while back). Rear sight blade broke off last month and I replaced it with a new Kensight LPA cut sight. I like it better. Wore the slide clean with my Safariland 5198, Parkerizing is wearing off. I have shot several 2011s and mine seems to be quite a bit heavier than the plastic grip guns and not as narrow in the grip. The others seem to steer a little easier but muzzle flip is worst than mine. This gun is a no frills workhorse and even if I end up with a high end 2011, i wont ever get rid of it. Get the Dawson front sight and the Taylor magwell and Greg Côte mags with Dawson extension and Arredondo springs and just shoot it. Yes, I would do it again. I am almost to A class and am in no rush to change. The gun does its part. I am very happy with it.