Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightweight variable optic

Nathanb

So the wife caught the bug of the black rifle and now has me sourcing parts for her very own build. One area I'm struggling is finding a variable power 1-4 optic. Her main complaint was she just isn't strong enough to handle a gun that's heavy to her. Being that she is 100 pounds everything is heavy. I've tried to talk her into a red dot to save weight but she wants the variable and we all know what momma wants momma gets. So with that being said what optics come in as the skinny kings? Yes I realize there are other areas to save weight but this is another area I'm looking at.

I believe the leupold hog hunter is the lightest I've come across.

The Hog Hunter/VX-2 looks super lightweight (and inexpensive), but you have to be careful with Leupolds as they will sometimes label them as 1-4x, etc., but deeper scrutiny will reveal that they're "mostly 1-4x" and in reality something like 1.25-3.75x. I'm not sure at all if that's the case with this scope, but it is one of their lower priced models so I'd be very careful and do a lot of research on it before busting out the credit card. The reticle for the hog hunter looks cool, too, but it's calibrated for a .30-06 rather than a .223, so that could be interesting...

Nikon makes one that is 13.3oz and another just under 14oz. After that it's the Vortex 1-4x powers (like the one I have for sale in the classifieds right now, HINT, HINT) at 16oz, along with cheapies like Leatherwood, Millet, etc., in that same zone... and then they all start to get to be around the same weight... Of those I'm seeing in the 16oz-ish area, the Vortex is the only one I'd bet on to take a beating and not break, unless you go higher dollar with something like a Trijicon (14.4oz), Nightforce, etc., etc.

I know you already mentioned the argument that there's other places to save weight and don't want to hear it, but I'll just go ahead and be the first to ignore you and point out that a well-balanced rifle feels more lightweight than one which is barrel heavy. The optic sits mid-gun so an extra few ounces there isn't nearly as noticeable as, say, a heavy compensator out on the far end of the gun that has leverage working against it. If getting a proper 3-gun specific reticle means an extra few ounces, I doubt that weight will be noticed but the benefits of a properly designed scope will.

Most importantly, you/she will want a scope that can take a beating: Vortex, Trijicon, US Optics, come to mind. If it don't work, or she's afraid to manhandle it a bit, then it's not much good. Just my opinion.

That's basically what I've come to. I've got an acog I've got a vortex pst 1-4 and I've got one that runs a red dot. I just wasn't sure if I was missing anything. I think this is going to be an exercise in futility and I'm going to end up with a lightweight expensive safe queen

Edited by Nathanb

In my limited experience, barrel weight is what pisses off shooters that are concerned about their upper body strength. It isn't as much the actual mass as it is mass distribution.

For example, my 12 year old son is as thin as you can get before our pediatrician puts him on a special diet. He can hold a 15 pound bag of pet food fine. Hand him a long rifle-shaped object that is lighter than the food bag, but sized like a rifle (of course) then it's a challenge. The mass is so far away from him that he has to work much harder to hold it up. I suspect that your wife is facing similar challenges. Definitely keep weight down over all, but weight (mass) far away from her body may be what she is sensing most. That is what generates the torque in her grip.

Another option is to hook her up with a dot (the new trijicon looks awesome) and a cheap flip 3x. Once she loses interest on the gun you could sell the magnifier. A 14.5" barrel with an effective, pinned compensator topped by a trijicon or aimpoint would fit her bill perfectly and still be awesome to have if she loses interest.

Performance should trump weight. At only 17.6oz you should get her the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6. It's only 3oz heavier than other scopes listed here but when shooting plates at 200 yards she will really appreciate the extra 2x. As others here have stated, balance is more important than actual weight. Use a lightweight barrel, Noveske or BCM KMR 13" handguard and the new Surefire comp to keep the front end of the gun light and she won't even notice a few extra ounces of scope weight. Another good place to save weight is the scope mount, most everyone I shoot with have gone to the Aero Precision ultra light scope mount. It's 3oz and costs $95. Anyway, good luck with her new rifle and hope to see you both next year at Topton or York!

Edited by T Bacus

The strike eagle was my first thought actually but at this point I don't want to rule anything out. I realize the barrel and the balance are going to be the big thing. I'm starting to wonder if I'm paying too much attention in the wrong places though. For me a 6 or 7lb gun is no big deal and I don't think two lbs is an issue. She does. Good thing it's a long winter.

I have the Leupold VX-HOG and am very happy with it. It is very lightweight (8.1oz) and simple - which was important to me, and the reticle is perfect for what I do. It is a 1.4-4x, not a true 1x, but for the price and weight it can't be beat.

Full review is here: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364941

Edited by Matt in TN