Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring loaded decapping/sizing die for rifle

slavex

42 minutes ago, slavex said:

Rcbs is 0.068, Redding which gives me the most joy, is 0.060

That's why I use the Lyman, smaller and more than likely shorter.

Measure the diameter and lengthof the RCBS pin and we can compare.  It may be too long and/or too thick.

so while I'm waiting for the Lyman pins to show up I decided to try something else today. I hit a really bad batch of brass for pull backs, even with the Redding dies. So I threw a Dillon 40 S&W die on the machine and the problem all but vanished. after 22,000 brass processed today I only had maybe 20 pullbacks after the swap. Just for giggles I threw the Redding die back in, and almost immediately had pullbacks again. Put a new decapping rod in it, still had them, put the 40 die back in, problem gone. 
Concusion? I hate decapping brass. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t have any primer pull back problems with 223. I gotta say though, loading 9mm is the worst. It has primer pull back, crimped pockets, run the mark 7 at a 5 clutch, and if a piece of brass doesn’t get as much lube as the others it will stop.
On the other hand 40 cal runs all day long at a 2 clutch and no stoppages ever, Unless a
Piece of 357 sig gets in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

You're spot on with the spring loaded Dillon dies.  They are better at preventing primer pullback than any other decapping die I've used.  I don't know if this will work in your case but you can use an oversized Dillon resizing die as sort of a "universal" decapping die.  With pistol brass, a 45 resize/decap die becomes a spring loaded decap-only die for smaller cartridges like 40, 9mm, 380 since the brass is smaller than the resizing ring.  I don't work with rifle cartridges though so couldn't say whether any of the pistol dies would work without affecting the shape of the rifle brass.  I imagine the center of the die may be too large for the necked cartridge or the die may not be deep enough.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe try the universal decapper from Mighty Armory?

Fast and Friendly Brass also has a rod that fits the Lee decapper. This rod takes the RCBS pins. FFB says this pin eliminates or drastically reduces issues with primer pull back.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk