Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fast Powder Loads

Smitty79

Happily using ETR-7 vs. N320 but interested in experimenting with E3.

I thought e3 was great. I burned through about 10lbs of it this year and ran out a couple months back. If it was readily available, I would have continued using it.

124/125/130 gr - LSWC and various coated bullets. Loaded length 1.171 in a Kart NM barrel which I had throated. Used same load in stock barrel at around 1.15 depending on the various bullet configurations.

In Win cases with KVB-223 Tula SRPs in all loads.

In actual use e3 is just ever so slightly faster than N320. I have had the loads pressure tested by Ben and the results were very close. I do not know why e3 is listed as being so fast when in reality it is more like medium fast. It will match Clays on the lower end but will safely make Major in .40. It is predictable and stable. If you powder measure will meter it there is no down side.

Funny how those were 2 exact powders i settled on using 147gr PLATED.

My buddy introduced me to Clays and i forgot his chrono results but i was using 3gr at 1.30 OAL and it was stupid fast and accurate enough for steel matches.

After clays dried up i went Ramshot Competition and settled with 3.6gr at 1.30 OAL as well.

My 10 shot string with mixed brass is below with a 5inch 2011 gun.

136 power factor

928 FPS average

1.3 OAL? 1.13 maybe?

Funny how those were 2 exact powders i settled on using 147gr PLATED.

My buddy introduced me to Clays and i forgot his chrono results but i was using 3gr at 1.30 OAL and it was stupid fast and accurate enough for steel matches.

After clays dried up i went Ramshot Competition and settled with 3.6gr at 1.30 OAL as well.

My 10 shot string with mixed brass is below with a 5inch 2011 gun.

136 power factor

928 FPS average

1.3 OAL? 1.13 maybe?

Sorry it's 1.130 oal

In actual use e3 is just ever so slightly faster than N320. I have had the loads pressure tested by Ben and the results were very close. I do not know why e3 is listed as being so fast when in reality it is more like medium fast. It will match Clays on the lower end but will safely make Major in .40. It is predictable and stable. If you powder measure will meter it there is no down side.

Excellent info, that is reassuring. I'll keep my eye out for some.

My 1050 is metering ETR-7, a flake shotgun pattern very well over a 20 round average. I am not so sure the round-to-round variation is any good, but the average over 20 throws is very consistent.