Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

talon grips

chetc

been looking at the talon grip tapes for my glock 19 gen 4 without any backstraps installed, i noticed they offer a granulate and rubberized types, any preferences, is Talon the most popular

Chet

I'm not a fan of Talon grips. The patterns are nice, but the adhesive is too weak and they fall off in the heat.

I make my own granulate grips from 3M anti-slip tape. The grip is more aggressive than the Talons, and the adhesive is way stronger.

Chet,

get a set of these and enjoy both worlds. Good adhesion, very tactile and cut to the perfect shape. Just trim the bottom for the shorter grip of the 19. At least in my area, these are the most popular grips.

http://www.mannyusa.com/Firearms_Training/product/Tru-Grips_Glock_22.html

Edited by bowenbuilt

Actually Talon grips are quite durable. However, as with any bond adhesive, the substrate surface has to be properly prepared, in this case, cleaned with alcohol. Wipe your gun with at least 2 of the supplied wipes and let it air dry. Then start from the back of the grip and go around left, then right. Then press all the tape down, and finish with a hair dryer or heat gun. I have both the granulate and rubber, and they wear very well, and have never lost any adhesion or been subject to peel failure. Had used the QwikGrip for years, but the rubber sleeve was too soft for appendix carry where the grip rubs against my Wilderness Belt. The Talons hold up to that. My G17's have the granulate and the G31's have the rubber. The G31 shown has 3 years on the grip. Personally the rubber is a little more comfortable and sticky, the granulate is less sticky and slightly more abrasive, the main difference being once you grab the rubber, there is no adjusting your grip. The reason I have both is so I can tell which carry gun I am grabbing in the pitch black dark.... And I spend a great deal of time in the desert where temperatures can go well above 115F, leaving the gun in car during matches, for several hours, with no adverse affect on the grips.

image36984.jpg

image36985.jpg

Edited by 9x45

You can buy 3' of skateboard tape for about $5 and make your own pattern. I've never had them as pretty as laser cut from Dawson but they work just the same. Grip tape from the hardware store to put on steps, or a deck seem to be more durable but are thicker too....