Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for those with UniqueTek Micrometer Powder Bar Kit

ERIC

Does anyone notice their setting changing after some use?

I have one for 223 and 9mm and I've noticed both of them changing their settings after some use. I first time I noticed it after loading a large batch (2K) of 9mm. While shooting, I noticed the loads felt light. I go home and check the charge and it went from 4.2 gn to 3.5 gn. I write down my settings and it did in fact change while loading. The next time I loaded up some 223, I kept an eye on it and noticed it did change after a couple of hundred rounds. I've resorted to putting tape on the dial so it doesn't move.

I have a Dillon 650 and no my kids don't sneak into the garage and change my settings while I'm napping.

There are 3 white plastic strips on mine. I did bring it back to them (since they are local) to have a look at it. I was told it looks like it was installed correctly and the friction seemed fine. He recommended I just keep using the tape. If I knew I'd be forking out over $50 for this precise piece of equipment but have to resort to using tape to keep the setting from moving, I would’ve stuck with the MRDial.

Edited by ERIC

The real micrometers have a nut, that controls the tension, the resistance to turning. This one, being this small, likely don't have it. But I have several of them, and have not noticed a movement. Using a tape is indeed ridiculous.

Well his inability to take care of a local customer just put him on my list of people not to do business with. Not that he'll lose any sleep over I'm sure, but on the other hand, I have 7 tool heads with powder measures, and I'm sure I'm not the only reader who will avoid the product.