Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Way To Mount A Scope

lppd4

I am going to mount a scope on my RRA flat top. What is the best way to go about it? Buy high or super high rings, get a flat top riser or buy a combination riser and rings. I thought I was doing good and bought medium height rings but quickly found that the scope was sitting so low I could not get low enough on the rifle. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I concur with Zak. Also, LaRue has a brand new model scope mount, the SPR-E that is both higher and further forward than the SPR. Great for scopes like the Trijicon TR 21. Its not in their on-line catelog, so you'll have to call them.

post-4353-1111706124_thumb.jpg

Armalite One Piece Quick Disconnect mount. It rocks, it's rock solid and it really does return to zero. I found it's height to be perfect (for me). It's about $75 bucks and worth it.

BTW, I prefer the scope to be low enough for it's optical center to be just about where the iron sight rear aperture would be if possible. The cheek weld is better for me that way. I also like it far enough forward to get my nose up near the charging handle iron sight style.

--

Regards,

I'll third (fourth?) the LaRue riser vote. Great gear! I have Armalite one-piece mounts (30mm and 1"), and find them both too low and not far enough forward. Bleah.

My latest preference is for a DPMS high-rise upper, actually. The last AR (that I built for myself) has that tall upper with a LaRue quad-rail forend (great for red-dot mounting) and a set of QD Warne rings and a IOR 1.1-4 scope. Not hard to swap uppers, and a new upper receiver is cheaper than a lot of the risers...

Alex