Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Open Match

yellowthunder

I built my first 2011 over the summer and finally felt comfortable enough to compete with it yesterday. Holy crap was it fun, but it also felt like the very first time I competed again. I had a bunch of little screw ups, procedurals etc throughout the day. Only one of my mags doesn't seem to work consistently, and sadly it's my big mag so I guess I'll be replacing that. Other than that, it was pretty crappy conditions for a 2011, with the wind and fine dust all day, but it ran really well. Good hits, but I've gotta pick up the speed to be competitive.

I've been a production shooter for the last year so moving to open was a pretty big change. I had a rough match overall, but had a blast. Since it was a new gun I was definitely overly worried about the reliability. I'll keep at it and hopefully get more comfortable with the gun. I thought I'd have less to think about with open, but at least the first time around, it seemed like I had more to think about. I realized I need to approach my stages differently now, where in the past I would make an extra move to get some targets, I can hit a lot more targets that are further out with the dot.

How did everyone else's first open match go? Or in that case, their first match where they switched categories?

I had the buzzer go off (first buzzer, first match) brought up the gun,

and NO RED DOT. :ph34r:

I forgot to turn it on ... :surprise:

When I loaded the 170 mm BigStick, it took about 12 rounds and

turned into a salt shaker .... :roflol: :roflol:

BUT, it was a BLAST, anyway. :cheers:

Oh man, I almost had that happen the first stage, I holstered my pistol, heard the ready command and was like CRAP, hold on, and got my dot on :)

Welcome to the Dark Side! :devil:

Before you throw your big stick away, what brand is it? new or used? 9 or 38? spacer?

It's a 38 super and is an SPS. Haven't done anything to any of my mags, I have 3 140mm standard STI mags also. They run great, but I will have to double check about whether that is with 20 or 21.

I had the buzzer go off (first buzzer, first match) brought up the gun,

and NO RED DOT. :ph34r:

I forgot to turn it on ... :surprise:

When I loaded the 170 mm BigStick, it took about 12 rounds and

turned into a salt shaker .... :roflol: :roflol:

BUT, it was a BLAST, anyway. :cheers:

That's one of the things I'm really liking about my J-Point. No on/off switch, no knobs, bells, whistles. Take the cover off, it's on. put the cover on, it's off