Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm terrible with a shotgun. There, I said it....

SERVED_USMC

Now, what the hell do I do about it!!? I've been shooting 3gun for 4 years and shotgun has always been my weak spot. Not loading or manipulation, but actually shooting it. I'm starting from scratch and re teaching myself. As of now I concentrate on the front FO while shooting and hide my target with it, both eyes open (at least I try). I've been told by some that I should be getting a good cheek weld and concentrating on seeing the target instead of the front sight. I need a link, a suggestion or a prayer to get myself up to snuff with my shotgun where I am with rifle and pistol.

Any help?

First off make sure your pattern is centered on your front bead at around 15-20 yards or so as you naturally hold the gun. It may not be hitting where you think it is.

As for sight focus or target focus you will get all sorts of different answers. I am very sight focus driven for everything. I always stare at the front sight even for aerial targets, bird hunting, skeet, trap, sporting clays, 5-stand, etc. It works for me.

I still don't have it figured out. In general I use sight focus for statics and pop up clays. I use target focus for real thrown birds. I don't generally have any trouble transitioning to the bird, but some times forget to get back onto the front sight when transitioning back to the static targets.

I struggled with this also and I read everything I could but was confused on the many different answers. Here's what I did. You point a shotgun and only use the sights or beads for slugs at distance. To properly hit what your pointing at when it comes to a shotgun you need to mount it the same everytime and make sure your mount is correct. I have a versa max with a mid bead sight and a raised comb in the stock. When I mount the shotgun I look at what I want to hit wih both eyes open. When I close my left eye and look at the mid bead it is just slightly below the front fiber optic sight making a figure eight. That means the front is slightly higher than the rear meaning the shotgun will shoot slightly high. This is good since my eyes are slightly above the front sight and it will hit what Im looking at. If i mount my head slightly lower, higher or to the left or right it will not hit what I'm pointing/looking at. When it comes to slugs at distance just use it like rifle sights nuff said. You can tell if your natural mount by mounting the shotgun 10 times and then closing your eyes on the last mount when you open them if everything lines up right as it should you are mounting correctly. If not you need to start finding out where you need to mount your head to get it right. There are some true shotgun experts on here like Pat Kelley that can expand or correct what I'm saying.

Mounting the gun the same each time sounds real good, except real hard to do when you are in any position other than standing. Skeet and trap advice is good for skeet and trap, but we don't really do that. Just something to think about.

Agreed, but some of the best shotgun guys I know have some skeet/trap skills, also. So there must be some skills that cross over, plus skeet leagues are fun.

With the exception of slugs, I think it is more about pointing than aiming, and understanding that you need to lead the targets even if they are static. I believe P.E. Kelley posted a video about sweeping a steel plate rack with a shotgun to practice timing. Most of the misses I see on static steel are because of people trying to sweep them but pull the trigger too late.

Edit to add the referenced vid:

Edited by Bamboo

Having a few sporting clays championships and a couple of Trap championships myself I can really attest to the fun of the clay sports. Having won a few level 4 and 5 I.P.S.C. shotgun championships, I can also say that action shotgun sports are great as well. I can also say that I focused on my front sight for each and every shot. I do it for my pistol, I do it for my rifle, and I just don't see changing that system for my shotgun. Like I said it works for me, I also said there are going to be a lot of different answers.

I myself know a couple good shotguns, a couple of them have done Skeet in the Olympics. In questioning them it is about 50/50 of those who sight focus and those who "target focus", so whatever works.....oh and YES rear sights are good! Especially for slugs and for those times you can't get the perfect mount, like kneeling bending over, prone etc!!!

I'm no expert, but I think you should consider how your shotgun fits you. My advice is worth what you paid, but for me some shotguns just feel right. My JM Pro was just awesome to mount, and the bead was right where I needed it. But I'm not going into what ever became of that gun. Enter the M3000. Felt horrible, long LOP, had to really concentrate every time I shouldered it. Lopped about 3/4" off the stock, and it became a joy. BTW, I'm sight focused, too. Probably why trap is tons easier than skeet or sporting clays for me. Patrick Kelly also has a great article on shotgun fit.

I'm no expert, but I think you should consider how your shotgun fits you. My advice is worth what you paid, but for me some shotguns just feel right. My JM Pro was just awesome to mount, and the bead was right where I needed it. But I'm not going into what ever became of that gun. Enter the M3000. Felt horrible, long LOP, had to really concentrate every time I shouldered it. Lopped about 3/4" off the stock, and it became a joy. BTW, I'm sight focused, too. Probably why trap is tons easier than skeet or sporting clays for me. Patrick Kelly also has a great article on shotgun fit.

I actually went through the same article and made some changes. Changed out the stock shims to drop it just a touch. It made a huge difference.