Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide stop keeps activating

aandabooks

I'm having a little trouble with a new 1911 that I got a week or so ago. The slide stop keeps activating while shooting. Sometimes it is every round and sometimes it runs several before activating. I've run several different brands of mags with the same result. Put the slide stop from my Sig in and it doesn't do it. The slide stop I'm having trouble with runs fine in my Sig.

I've been slowly filing and stoning the slide stop. How far inside the frame is the slide stop supposed to extend? I don't want to take too much off and not have it activate when it is supposed to.

I filed and smoothed everything. Took the gun back out and it only did it one time in 8 mags. There was a very small burr on the slide where the slide stop engages. I've got a match tomorrow and want to run this gun so I've been working on it to get it good.

The slide stop lobe has generally a minimum length of .195 to a max of .205. It's measured from the inside of the stop arm to outside of the lobe. Now depending on the shape of the lobe it can be as long as .206 with no issues. There are a couple things you should check. One is the distance between the bottom of the slide and top of slide stop. Should be at least. 015. Any closer and it's prone to slide lock from recoil or a bump from a round. You also want to make sure the plunger is free and not dragging in the plunger tube.

Now if that's all good you should strip the slide off and take an empty mag and insert it. Take a mental note of how it engages the follower. If there is plenty of meat on it take a round and put it in the mag. Slide it in a few times to make sure it clears. When i fit them i take am additional step and purposely push the round

.010 forward in the mag and relieve till it passes. That will help if your getting movement from inertia.

Lastly strips your mags down and clean them. They always seam to attract oil. You want them dry and free of oil. Good luck. Sometimes they can be a little frustrating.

I filed and smoothed everything. Took the gun back out and it only did it one time in 8 mags. There was a very small burr on the slide where the slide stop engages. I've got a match tomorrow and want to run this gun so I've been working on it to get it good.

I should of replied with quote so it notified you. I know what it's like to be crunk time with a bug in a weapon.

Check that bullet profile isn't making contact with the inside of the slide stop.

Heavy hollow points are the usually offenders

Especially if there is any slope in the magazine fit in the gun.

MG 124 JHP loaded out to 1.150 played havoc with a SA 1911 and STI SteelMaster

A little fitting and shaping on the slide stop lock back clear it up on both guns

You didn't mention what caliber? But anyways, like mentioned, check the bullet profile and oal. Could be the bullet nose is hitting the slude stop if they're too far out. Check this by taking off the slide, then insert a loaded mag into the gun, and see if the bullet's nose is hitting the slide stop up.

Edited by Postal Bob

Sometimes you need to add or deepen the detent in the slide stop where the plunger hits it in the full down position.

+1 The last new slide stop I bought had a pretty deep groove milled in it for this. It wouldn't even activate until I smoothed it off a little. That's probably the easy way to get it to not pop up when you don't want it to.

Edited by bountyhunter

No. On a few different 1911 and 2011s I have tried they have caused the slide to lock back. Seems like the dawson aluma buff cause the slide travel to stop right at the slide stop notch and can cause the slide stop to bounce up at the back of the stroke.