Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK SBE for 3 Gun...Now what....

greg2648

Add a mag tube extension to increase tube capacity to 8 minimum.

Smooth out the loading port so that you don't cut your fingers/thumb.

Add a tab for bolt release (See http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-hardware/benelli-rapid-bolt-release-tabs-prod61488.aspx )

Perhaps a new sight set for front/mid rib for slug shooting. Get a good understanding of slug impacts at different distance (minimum 50 yds) - This is where most newbies encountered trouble, shooting slugs at distance target.

That's it.

Don't put anymore $ in it until you find out whether or not an SBE is what you want to use in 3 gun.

Bolt release is good, stock bolt handle is good to go, factory fiber optic is fine especially with the mid bead for slugs. It's a great shotgun, you may need a lighter recoil spring at some point. Absolutely a good shotgun to get started with and carry you a ways.

Practice loading at home. I try to do short sessions of no more than 15 minutes a couple of times a week rather than extended sessions. Try double and quads as well as traditional weak hand loading and practice each for a couple of weeks until you find what works for you.

Order an extended magazine tube. I prefer 12 rounds total using a 10 round RCI and a +2 extension but it depends on your preference and anticipated division.

Practice loading at home.

Go out and pattern your chokes at a couple of distances to see how YOUR shotgun patterns with YOUR chokes. You don't have to use all your chokes, I only patterned IC and LM so far but I KNOW where my pattern is at 10, 15 and 20 yards. While you're at the range also check your slugs with the same chokes to make sure (1) they cycle and (2) where they hit relative to your point of aim at 50/75/100 yards if possible.

Practice loading at home.

When you load at the range, at the pre-load table at a match or at home, ALWAYS load from your caddies. I had a bad habit of loading up my tube at a match from a box of shells until I was asked by an experienced shooter why I was skipping my warm up.