Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjustable gas block foul easier?

pcs352

Like the title says do adjustable gas blocks foul easier due to reducing the port size? Reason I inquire is my shooting buddy's rifle went down during a match and after a thorough cleaning some crud came out of gas tube. After the cleaning the rifle runs great. He was using an adjustable gas block and I use the same one (SLR) and want to know if there is a maintenance/cleaning interval I should be performing. Let me know if you guys/gals do anything different with your adjustable gas builds.

2 different issues. Believe recommendation to close and open is to prevent threads getting caked up w crud and causing adjustment screw being frozen in current setting.

Would think the port itself should not get plugged with crud, as high pressure gas would keep it patent, but could be wrong. If i am wrong, perhaps opening up adjuster screw and firing a couple of rounds would be a good move.

Like the title says do adjustable gas blocks foul easier due to reducing the port size?

Yes. Unless I absolutely need one, I avoid them for that reason. Increased erosion and increased Carbon deposits. The metal and deposits get carried into the carrier and thus the gas rings. In some cases that can cause stoppages.