Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS 9mm Minor 9 or 10 round mags

.45 ACP nut

I have had excellent reliability with the 9 round mags that came with my Springfield Armory RO in 1911. I am trying to decide which brand and what capacity mags to buy so I will have enough to compete. When shooting a stage do you plan your reloads as if you were shooting SS Major (8 rounds); or do you plan your reloads like you would if shooting L-10/Production?

the whole point of shooting ss minor is to be able to take advantage of the extra 2 rounds, which is often a significant advantage.

When I was researching this issue last year, everyone said dawson mags. That's what I have used all year and they have been flawless. They seat easily, are long enough to work well with the dawson ICE magwell, and are easy and quick to take apart and clean. The ONLY bad thing I have found is that when fully loaded, they are a pain to manually unload, like after you are done shooting. Once you get down to 5-6 rounds left in the mag, I can easily strip the rounds out by hand.

I bought 6 dawson and 1 chip Mccormick. The mags have been good. The chip Mccormick does not use a spacer like the Dawson's. It seems to be a just a little loner than the dawsons. I have had an issue seating the chip mag with a full mag on a closed side in one of my guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The advantage of shooting minor is the 10 rounds. I would get Tripp, Wilson, or whatever runs good in your gun in 10 rounds and plan you stages like a production shooter.

That is what I was thinking. Thank you for reaffirming my thoughts. I don't shoot Production much, but last year (OCT-AUG) I used my 1911-45 in L-10, so I'm used to looking for 10 shots between reloads.